Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Lumbar Support Retrofit

Question to all,

Does anyone have experience with retrofitting a 996 C4S coupe with the driver's side lumbar support on electric seats? I'm doing long drives these days, and would like to replace the seat blank with OEM lumbar system. I'm assuming the wiring is in place -- fair assumption? Can't seem to find much information on this, and my local service people can't answer with any degree of confidence.

All help appreciated.

Question to all,

Does anyone have experience with retrofitting a 996 C4S coupe with the driver's side lumbar support on electric seats? I'm doing long drives these days, and would like to replace the seat blank with OEM lumbar system. I'm assuming the wiring is in place -- fair assumption? Can't seem to find much information on this, and my local service people can't answer with any degree of confidence.

All help appreciated.

+1. This, I would be very interested in; lumbar support sorely lacking in my C4S driver seat too....

Question to all,

All help appreciated.

+1. This, I would be very interested in; lumbar support sorely lacking in my C4S driver seat too....

Found a thread here that more or less answers the question. The conclusion is that Porsche had so many problems with the pneumatic system that they stopped installing it. Not sure if this is correct or not, but there were several helpful postings using "seats" as the key; "lumbar" doesn't provide much, as you've probably discovered yourself. I've spent even more time looking at the seat schematics and I can't even see a part # for the pump; other parts that may or may not be in your seat are identified (mine has the circuit mini-board under the seat plug, as theirs did too). So, it seems to be an open question to some extent, especially since many 997s are advertised as having the active lumbar support system. I've cut to the chase and simply done what one of the responders did: bought a manual unit, that works well with P seats; costs $25, so not much of a risk.

Another P mystery.

Wow, I never thought that lumbar was a problem or problematic. Can you include the link to that thread? Was it not available on the Comfort package with a C4S? Or was that option not available? That was near the top of my must have list when I went looking, and it really wasn't that hard to find, IIRC. Mine have been trouble free, and very well worth it!

Edited by perryinva

Wow, I never thought that lumbar was a problem or problematic. Can you include the link to that thread? Was it not available on the Comfort package with a C4S? Or was that option not available? That was near the top of my must have list when I went looking, and it really wasn't that hard to find, IIRC. Mine have been trouble free, and very well worth it!

perryinva -- forum link is: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ar+support+seat. The whole thing is very confusing; local dealer says no OEM lumbar for MY02. But, you have it? What MY is yours?

I have an '02 C2, with the Comfort Package option. It has standard full leather seats that are supple leather, heated, and have all electric controls. On the side of each seat there are 2 levers, plus a round rocker button. On non-lumbar seats, this is just a round plug. One lever control seat back, the other, seat bottm tilt and height. The round rocker inflates/deflates the lumbar, and also raises it or lowers it to where you want it contacting your lower back. Works perfectly on both seats. I love it.

I have an '02 C2, with the Comfort Package option. It has standard full leather seats that are supple leather, heated, and have all electric controls. On the side of each seat there are 2 levers, plus a round rocker button. On non-lumbar seats, this is just a round plug. One lever control seat back, the other, seat bottm tilt and height. The round rocker inflates/deflates the lumbar, and also raises it or lowers it to where you want it contacting your lower back. Works perfectly on both seats. I love it.

I too have the lumbar seat option ( both driver and front passenger option 513 and 586). I don't have the "comfort seat" option in my 02C4S, but apprarently was offered as a "stand-alone" option ( at $380 per seat per window sticker)!!

Demosan

I saw a thread a long time ago about someone putting an extra piece of foam in there for added lumbar support. It is accessible. I don't remember which forum it was. It could be here someplace or Renntech of 6speedonline. You will need to search if interested.