Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hood Badge

Due to an unfortunate bit of carelessness on my part, I needed some body work including replacement of the hood on my 2002 S. I just picked up the car and the shop replaced the badge as part of the work , but the one they used is different from the original part. Rather than the textured badge with raised features and raised PORSCHE lettering in the same gold finish as the background, it is completely smooth and the PORSCHE lettering is black. I am thinking they got the wrong part and intend to take it back. As far as I can tell from searching parts sites, Boxsters of any year don't use a badge like this one. Anyone know if this is from a different model car?

Thanks

Slots

The Cayman and Cayman S, 2006 on have a hood crest with PORSCHE in black lettering. Go to PELICAN PARTS web site under Cayman, hood crests, and I believe you will see what is on your hood.

Edited by jotoole

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible that the body shop used a "bubble" sticker type crest instead of the original?

Bubble sticker type

2djct21.jpg

Original crest - early

33c82oj.jpg

Original crest – late

jjv11t.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it is the one from the Cayman as well, but photo makes it hard to tell. The one on my hood is completely smooth to the touch; it's not the bubble sticker, it has the rubber gasket and is attached with speed nuts. It has the black lettering though. The shop checked with their supplier (Tischer Porsche in Silver Spring MD) who told them this part on my hood is the current part and the original one is no longer made. Since the car is 02, it would fall into the early crest category I would expect. And if indeed the crest has been discontinued, then I suppose the late model one might be all that the dealer stocked, though obviously Pelican and others have the original type. Anyone out there with a late model Boxster who can tell me if their hood crest looks like the Cayman one?

Probably water under the bridge at this point, but for an additional data point, the hood crest on my 1997 looks like the "late" model above with black lettering. It is textured and only the colored bars and letters are filled and smooth. I think the "early" model badge above is for the air cooled generation of 911, and there is an even earlier version with orange bars instead of the red. I have never noticed a completely smooth hood crest before, but that's not to say that there isn't one.