Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing Rubber from Body panels

I track my 997C2S a fait amount, and have a lot of melted rubber on the wheel wells and cannot seem to remove it.

Anyone know of a product that will remove this safely?

I'd try a little rubbing alcohol, and a plastic or teflon spudger/spatula.

Are you sure it's not brake dust? Try a wheel cleaner (not the cheap stuff that eats your clearcoat) and a little elbow grease with a rag. Follow up with polish when you've removed the really big bits.

No it isn't brake dust, it is rubber, I was running hard on the PS2's and the track dried up very quickly and the PS2's melted faster then I would have ever imagined. I first thought it was paint or tar, but it is definitely rubber.

I have heard that WD40 works as well, have you tried that?

No it isn't brake dust, it is rubber, I was running hard on the PS2's and the track dried up very quickly and the PS2's melted faster then I would have ever imagined. I first thought it was paint or tar, but it is definitely rubber.

I have heard that WD40 works as well, have you tried that?

Anything that lubricates should help you, WD40 or maybe just some dish/car wash soap. I find the rubbing alcohol does well for adhesive, and I've used it for rubber cone marks from AX which is why I suggested it here. lifts the stuff up and doesn't leave a lot of residue to clean.

Turtle Wax has a spray Tar & bug remover which I have found takes off just about anything without harming the paint. This may not be strong enough depending on the amount of rubber stuck to your paint

I use "Oil Flo Saftey Solvent Cleaner." It is water soluable, so you can use it diluted. I've found a lot of the rubber marks come off diluted, but I usually just spray it on and wipe it off, and then rinse real good. It does take the wax off, but I have been using it for 2 years and have not seen any impact on the paint. If you go this route, shop around for it - you can buy it through car care places, but contractors also use it, and I've found it through contractor supply houses cheaper.

I use "Oil Flo Saftey Solvent Cleaner." It is water soluable, so you can use it diluted. I've found a lot of the rubber marks come off diluted, but I usually just spray it on and wipe it off, and then rinse real good. It does take the wax off, but I have been using it for 2 years and have not seen any impact on the paint. If you go this route, shop around for it - you can buy it through car care places, but contractors also use it, and I've found it through contractor supply houses cheaper.

I will give this a try, I know where to get some of this stuff.

Turtle Wax has a spray Tar & bug remover which I have found takes off just about anything without harming the paint. This may not be strong enough depending on the amount of rubber stuck to your paint

I have tried that in the past, it didn't get much stuff off.

Not strong enough I guess... Hope you find something that works :D

• 2 months later...

Goof Off for plastic....orange spray bottle. Works great at taking tire rubber, etc. off of the clear plastic protectors that protect the rear rocker panels, invisible bras, etc. It won't cloud the plastic. Works on the paint too....I always make sure I wash the area really good after applying to get any chemical residue off.