Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster going to Alaska

Hello all,

I just bought a 2000 Boxster S while on leave from Iraq and just joined this forum. I purchased the car in Utah, car had 32,000 miles on it, and drove it to Upstate New York where it is stored until I get back from Iraq, then plan on driving it back to Alaska where I am stationed. I know the car will drive well in the snow with proper winter tires and I can handle driving in the snow just fine, even though the car didn't have the traction control option. I do wish it had seat heaters though.

What I am concerned about is the extreme cold we get in Alaska. It is typically -30F from November to April and see -50F and -60F during Jan and Feb. All cars need to be winterized with block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery warmers and coolant concentration increased to atleast 70/30 coolant/water and cars need to be plugged in to AC power when not running. Can the M96 engine handle this kind of cold and does anyone have experience driving their Porsche in the arctic? Any Alaskan out there driving Porsches? Anyone have experience winterizing their Porsche to this level? Porsche does cold weather testing in the arctic, including Alaska but how will it affect the engine? Plastic tends to crumble like potato chips in the arctic so I'm planning on removing the soft top during the winter (rear window will most likely break while folded up ) and getting a hardtop for it. Is removing and installing the top an ordeal? Will the cold increase the likelihood of RMS or IMS failure? Do the 3.2L engines still have those problems?

I have a 2004 VW GTI that I use in Alaska and was planning on selling it when I return but I may have to keep it if using the Boxster in the Alaskan winter is too unrealistic.

Any helpful input is appreciated. Thanks.

JT

2000 Boxster S

3.2L, 6 Speed

19" factory wheels.

Hey there,

I'm in Anchorage right now. I just moved back here from a 2 year stint in GA. I'm on my 3rd Porsche and the first 2 were purchased here, 3rd is my Boxster that I just trailered up. I've been in PCA here for about 5 years. I know a guy who drives his 911 in the winter, hes of the opinion its "just a car". he'd be just as happy if it were a Ford Taurus. Everyone else that I know stores them. The roads here are bad enough in summer, and don't forget about the ditch divers. If you can keep the VW, that's what I'd recommend. Occasionally I see a P-car driving down the street in the winter, and I cringe.

Just keep you head down....

Regards, PK

Roger that!

• 4 weeks later...

In 1997 I drove to Alaska from North Carolina. Round trip it was 17,500 miles, no that's not a typo. I went through eleven tires. The term Alaskan highway is a very loose expression of the term highway as do the rest of the roads up there. the ground freezes and thaws creating undulations in the pavement (where there is pavement) that is amusing and probably bad for our little cars undercarriage. There was a Corvette that made the trip and he routinely bottomed out on potholes that would terrify a New York City cabdriver. The number of rocks that will be hurled through your windshield by passing trucks is astounding. I lined my brush guard with chicken wire to save my headlights and it proved to be a wise move. Also to note is the speed of tractor trailers who are piggybacking up to three trailers at a time travelling at speeds of 100 miles per hour creating a large amount of wind that made my very heavy Pathfinder sway all over the road. It was the first time in my life where I was genuinely scared for my passengers and my own life in a driving situation. Then there are the mysterious railroad spikes in the road and the friendly local who just happens to have a retread. This is why I went through eleven tires in three month period.

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from taking your car up there and enjoying it. Just making you aware of the realities of the situation. Perhaps you could consider doing some "Paris Dakar" modifications to your car to make it more suitable for the landscape.

Sincerely,

Justin