Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to Check the Fuse on the Central Alarm Module

2000 Boxster "S"

About a month ago, my alarm would constantly chirp after locking (the center console was closed) and about 5 minutes later, the alarm would sound...

All of a sudden, the following major changes happened all at once:

-Front and rear trunk locked out (interior handles won't budge);

-Dome light and footwell lights not working (dash and speedometer lights work fine);

-Center console lock/unlock rocker not working at all - just dead - no light at all - ever;

-Remote entry not working (when I depress the key, the top dash sensor does not light up);

-Convertible top won't go down (windows go down when the top handle is unlatched - e-brake light goes on); and

-When I turn the key to start the car, there is a slight delay before ignition (has to do with alarm?).

Oddly enough, when the key is in the ignition and I depress the keyhead, the top dash sensor flickers as it receives the IR signal once the key is in the ignition.

I've already ruled out "flooding" as I live in sunny Los Angeles, park underground, and the foam behind the driver's seat and floor is totally dry.

Any thoughts??? Could this simply be a blown fuse in the central locking alarm module? If so, how do I get to that part and where is the 15 AMP fuse? Pictures/walkthrough would be great! Thanks so much!

• Moderators

The alarm control box is located under the driver seat, remove the seat and the underlying control box, check the fuse on the rear side of the box. Check the fuses in the fuse box in first place.

Okay... so all of the problems were merely a symptom of something else... let me explain:

With the good advise of this board, last night, I took out the driver's seat and inspected the central alarm module... sure enough, the 15 amp mini fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse, and viola... the remote entry worked, top went down, interior lights worked, front and rear trunk opened: I was a happy camper.

This morning, everything was fine and I drove to the Torrance Courthouse for an appearance (I'm a lawyer, not a criminal!)...

When I came back to my car... the remote entry wasn't working. I manually opened my door and same exact thing... no interior lights, no top, trunks locked again, yada yada... I'm sure if I take out the seat again and inspect the alarm fuse, it will be blown..

What are your thoughts on what could be tripping this fuse while the car is parked and locked? (FYI: my car was parked and locked the first time I experienced all of these problems.)

Is it wise to replace the 15 amp mini fuse with something more substantial.. say a 30 or 45 watt fuse? Is this harmful to the car? Could the battery do this? Bad wiring? I'm sort of baffled....

• Admin
Okay... so all of the problems were merely a symptom of something else... let me explain:

With the good advise of this board, last night, I took out the driver's seat and inspected the central alarm module... sure enough, the 15 amp mini fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse, and viola... the remote entry worked, top went down, interior lights worked, front and rear trunk opened: I was a happy camper.

This morning, everything was fine and I drove to the Torrance Courthouse for an appearance (I'm a lawyer, not a criminal!)...

When I came back to my car... the remote entry wasn't working. I manually opened my door and same exact thing... no interior lights, no top, trunks locked again, yada yada... I'm sure if I take out the seat again and inspect the alarm fuse, it will be blown..

What are your thoughts on what could be tripping this fuse while the car is parked and locked? (FYI: my car was parked and locked the first time I experienced all of these problems.)

Is it wise to replace the 15 amp mini fuse with something more substantial.. say a 30 or 45 watt fuse? Is this harmful to the car? Could the battery do this? Bad wiring? I'm sort of baffled....

Perhaps the alarm box under the drivers seat got wet?

Pretty common in a Boxster.

• 1 month later...