Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Problems with 2005 Nav?

Hi. I have an '05 C2 - and recently the navigation started to get strange (for lack of a better word). It constantly gets lost, takes me to strange places, etc. I called my local dealership and they are not any help - in fact they seem to not care and know nothing.

Are there any known problems like this?

If it were the antenna, it would happen all the time. I had the same thing happen to our '05 Mecedes a while back and they ended up keeping the car forever and replacing everything. They got it to work, but no one ever figured out how. Thanks.

• Moderators

Take the car outside and the PCM MANUAL on your knees:

Check the quantity of received satellites - Check in the menu's if the navi. auto-lock is ON or OFF/SHOULD be OFF - Go back to FACTORY SETTINGS - Try again. If you got no PCM manual, download one here

Took it around the block. Have 5-7 satellites - I think 5 is low, perhaps not for a 2005 nav. As far as I can see there is nothing about Navigation "auto-lock" anywhere. WHat does this even do? Thanks.

How do you reset the nav and or PCM? It would be much easier for me as the dealer has refused to do anything "while I wait". As you can tell, I am less than thrilled with the local dealer.

How do you reset the nav and or PCM? It would be much easier for me as the dealer has refused to do anything "while I wait". As you can tell, I am less than thrilled with the local dealer.

I think there is a PCM 'Button Sequence' that resets the PCM. I don't recall off hand what it is but I sure you can search this forum or browse through the Porsche TSB's for that answer. You might try this thread as well . . . http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=NAV+update.

You can also remove the fuse that powers them to do a 'hard' reset.

When I took procession of my 997 a few years ago I had a similar NAV anomaly. The car was from the Houston, TX area and when it was transported to So California the NAV wasn't displaying the proper location plus it acted a bit strange when I used it for direction help. I simply took it my local dealer and he did some sort of reset or calibration which got the NAV back on track. I'm sorry I didn't ask precisely what he did; I was just happy it was a simple fix. I suggest visiting a different Porsche dealer since it seems the one you went to is useless.

GL

Edited by AP 997S

• 3 weeks later...

5 satellites slightly low but all you need is 3 really. Next time you're on a longer drive make sure the PCM is seeing constant 3 or more. Instead of looking at the map screen keep your eyes on the info screen. I've seen units that lose reception but only for just a second and it really throws everything off - the satellites number goes to 0 but then back up to 7 or whatever in a few minutes. If it seems like your seeing satellites then you probably need to take it to the dealer and have the fault memory read out and see if you've got any codes stored.

Do you usually drive only short trips? Has the car been transported (toe, moving van, etc.)? Have you recently changed tires? The Nav system not only takes position information from the GPS satelites, it also takes other car data into account - like distance travelled (speedometer feed) and turning (steering wheel). Under normal circumstances (system settled) that helps it to keep track of where you are during temporary GPS signal outages (e.g. under a bridge, through a tunnel). If however one of the above situations occured (tire change, transport) the evaluation of these additional parameters is no longer accurate and will throuw your position off whenever the GPS signal gets weak.

Simplest way to fix this is to drive the car for about 30+ miles on a very simple route. Avoid going just straight on the freeway - you want some turns in there. Stick to major roads, take a clear turn every mile or so (like a 90 degree right or left followed by another mile or two straight on). This helps the SW to clearly identify the "out-of-synch" status and correct it.

If after this process you are still being off, you might be looking at something more complicated.

Good luck,

Jay

As 'jaybart' stated my GPS was 'confused' when my car was transported from Texas to California via van. I simply bought the car in to my local Porsche dealer and they 're-calibrated' it. To be honest I really don't know what they did but I suspect they either reset it (ie. removed/re-inserted the NAV disc or fuse) or used the PWIS to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Press and hold buttons 1 4 8 to reset the PCM. Pulling the fuse will reset the navigation drive. May be simpler to disconnect the battery. Just remember to reset the power windows and the steering angle sensor afterwards.

Your description sounds like you may have an issue with the map DVD or the GPS antennae. Check the connection of the gps antennae to the cable just above the cabin filter in the engine bay on the left hand side of the battery. You could also try cleaning the map DVD with a soft cloth and using a DVD lense cleaner in the navigation drive. If the car is 2005 its probably running an older 2004 map DVD and original PCM software too.

Edited by berty987