Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all.

Well my 996 C4 6sp cab, is nearly ready for collection.

But before I do my indy has asked if I could order a, (Front/right outer, CV BOOT)

what is this? all I know is it has something to do with grease...

He said it's not major but it will need to be changed eventually.

The CV boot goes over the constant velocity joint (CV joint) at the end of the driveshaft. There is an inner CV and outer CV joint. The CV boot is the rubber bit that looks like a bellow.

Hi all.

Well my 996 C4 6sp cab, is nearly ready for collection.

But before I do my indy has asked if I could order a, (Front/right outer, CV BOOT)

what is this? all I know is it has something to do with grease...

He said it's not major but it will need to be changed eventually.

To add to minny's answer -- it holds the grease in, and keeps contaminants out.

Thanks guy's, I now understand, I think I will ask him to check the joint in question to just see if it's ok.

Is this common, if the joint goes is it a big job/problem?

It's not uncommon for the boots to develop a hole, allowing in dirt and gunk that can degrade the grease, and then have a damaged CV joint as a result. Based on your original post, it sounded like the indy was saying they will need to be replaced soon, not that they currently have a hole in them...if that is the case, I bet your CVs are fine, and he is just advocating some preventative maintenance.

Well my indy said a small amount of grease was weeping out, so maybe a bit of preventative maintenance in this case, is welcome.

When I order a new CV boot should I order some grease too?

Well my indy said a small amount of grease was weeping out, so maybe a bit of preventative maintenance in this case, is welcome.

When I order a new CV boot should I order some grease too?

Yes. If you take the boot off, it is a good idea to clean up the joint, inspect it, and then repack when the new boot goes on. I would think your indy will have the right grease. I wonder where is was coming from, a hole or past the clamped end. Those clamps don't always hold so great. I've quit using the Porsche clamps and use an older style now.