Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

After many years of waiting I am thrilled to be the proud owner of my first Porsche, a 1999 C2 that I find very hard to park in the garage and not use as my daily driver - just love driving and fiddling with this car.

I have always been a gauge watcher and with little Porsche experience I would like to know what others see for a normal coolant operatiing temperature range. Mine runs between the 8 and 0 in 180 so call it just short of 200 but does tend to move around a bit in a range between 180 and 200 depending on the outside air temp, driving conditions and current airflow. Is this a normal operating temp and would the slight range of temp be onsidered normal for a 1999 C2?

Awesome sight, thanks tons for the great resource.

:welcome:

Yes, that is normal.

See the DIY on cleaning the front radiators (yearly). Also, check your coolant tank cap for leaks.

Thanks much Loren and just yesterday I cleaned the front radiators and there was darn plenty of "stuff" inside there so bound to help out. Will also check out the tank cap.

In my 99 C2 with the OBC showing an outside temperature of 107 yesterday in Houston stop and go traffic, I was at the outside right edge of the 0 in 180. I've never had mine go higher than that.

That gives me a great target temperature and suspect that under similar conditions mine would run a bit warmer. Couple of checks suggested though that could help my case. Thanks much.

My 2000 C2 used to run on the left side of 0 in the 180 maybe go up a little bit in stop and go. I don't have JE's humidity (I am from Houston, no potshots) but do have the high heat (yesterday in Fort Worth Texas it was 102). Even with decent traffic flow temp was at the middle or high side of 0 in 180. Using the HVAC hack (hold recirc and top button down for 5 seconds) my coolant temps were up to 107C (I know Loren, this is not accurate but on the fly seems to match coolant temp gauge). I can see some junk in my radiators (cleaned them last year). Probably need to do it again. Also, noticed that my oil pressure was about 0.5 bar at idle versus about 1 bar in "reasonable" temps (~80F).

My 2000 C2 used to run on the left side of 0 in the 180 maybe go up a little bit in stop and go. I don't have JE's humidity (I am from Houston, no potshots) but do have the high heat (yesterday in Fort Worth Texas it was 102). Even with decent traffic flow temp was at the middle or high side of 0 in 180. Using the HVAC hack (hold recirc and top button down for 5 seconds) my coolant temps were up to 107C (I know Loren, this is not accurate but on the fly seems to match coolant temp gauge). I can see some junk in my radiators (cleaned them last year). Probably need to do it again. Also, noticed that my oil pressure was about 0.5 bar at idle versus about 1 bar in "reasonable" temps (~80F).

I did the fan high speed fan mod and I notice my temps dropped a good 10-12C in traffic!! very happy with this.... when your temps drop your oil pressure will rise to normal.... the needle strait up is 93/94C

this mod also helps at the track... I have it on all the time during tracking and it definitely bleeds off heat nicely...