Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

car pc my 1st fabrication

Hey everyone. after about 3 months of waiting for my parts and extensive planning. I've finally semi finished my 1st car pc fabrication. i have my exams these couple of days so i don't really have time to post a step by step diy but here are some pictures, i hope you enjoy. I moved my stock radio to the lower section (had to kind of force it) since i have the MOST fiber optic and switching it out would be too costly and probably way too hard for me to do, so i added an fm modulator in and put it to my asus eee audio jack (btw, i should have mentioned the car pc is made from an asus eee) i then added a touch panel to the asus eee and wired a external power button to it. added an power inverter for the eee power source and fabricated my own bezel. (which actually took wayyyy more time than i thought)

Update:

Actually, not much to update but i loaded windows media center on my eee and it works pretty well. just a bit annoying since it makes a beep everytime i use the touchscreen (i might be able to shut if off, not sure yet) - as per the sound quality, i can't say it sounds the best, but for me, it certainly is not bad. if you put the volume too loud, it will sound distorted though. (and when you're not playing anything, there will be engine whine) <- if you have the modulator that shuts off when there is no audio input (i've only heard of these and havn't actually seen one), this should not happen. At the end, im just really happy with the result.

As it turns out, for whatever reason my picture files are too big so i can't upload some of them...~_~

post-33313-1246209951_thumb.jpg

post-33313-1246209964_thumb.jpg

post-33313-1246209995_thumb.jpg

Edited by eason

Looks great, can you educate me with some more details on what exactly this does, etc.? I have a 2003 as well with the MOST fiber so I'm very interested in how the modulator all works for you.

:D im glad i've caught your attention. The modulator works great (of course it's still a modulator so don't have your hopes up TOO high) In terms of the quality of the sound, expect the absolute best signal you will ever get on your fm band. i must say the quality isn't that bad, gl with your choice.

Also, the car pc is bascially just a pc in your car. since i can't rip out the stereo, i just decided add a pc in there so i can control all my songs or even videos, pictures etc in my car:D

i simply took the power from the 12v thats not used which was meant for the phone. (i used the switched power). to power the fm modulator and bought 2 antenna adaptors. thanks for commenting

Edited by eason

Have you thought about installing the Durametric software and fabbing some sort of cable to the OBD-II port, so that you have onboard diagnostics? That would be pretty sweet.

yeah i have actually but not sure exactly what is involved in putting something like that together. i think im give myself a rest before starting again. i've been putting off my school work too much ~_~