Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Overheating, strange noise. Have checked fans!

Had a pleasant drive to Yosemite this morning until I hit the hills. No sooner and I see the temp guage going high. Switched on the 6c Ac hack (no tester handy) and watched it go up to 111c. Both fans working,ac on and 100f outside. Stopped, let it cool and continued up the hill. This time it hit 113f before I could stop (AC on).

I'm at the hotel now and noticed that there is a loud squeal noise at the front (no particular side). Let it cool again and started with Ac off. No noise initially but after a minute or two the squeal came on again. A few

minutes later the squeal reduced and then returned louder.

During this time I turned the AC on to see if it helped, but no change to the squeal. Fans both came on and held the temp steady.

Turned off the AC and the temp went up but returned down again after the fans kicked in.

BTW I have a tiptrinic so believe there is a third radiator up there. Is there a third fan?

Given the fans seem okay, any ideas why it got soo hot or it making the strange noise?

Need to drive into yosemite valley so need to determine if it is okay? Wife will not be happy to breakdown there.

Edited by dammad

I think you've eliminated the fans being the problem since they come on. Are you sure the the squealling/whining is definitely coming from the front of the car? Maybe it is radiating from the back of the car. Did you check the coolant and oil levels?

My guess is good as any but I am thinking maybe your water pump is toast and maybe not circulating the coolant well. When idling if you rev the engine a bit does that make the temp drop a bit is often a sign of a failing pump.

Good luck and reply back with whatever the problem ends up being.

Thanks for the ideas. The squeal comes even when the fans are off so don't think it is a fan bearing or squealing ballast.

Yes definitely from the front, loudness at the rear of the wheel arches. Water pump is about 15000 old so i assume okay.

Strange huh?

No steering pumps or other things up in front of the cabin yet behind the wheels? AC or power steering?

Car went okay today avoiding traffic. Trying to nurse it home tomorrow then I can get more info.

Ac hack is holding down upvent and recirculate at the same time. sixth number is an approx coolant temp.