Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rotor shield

I need to remove and bend the metal rotor shield that is directly behind the rotor. When I turn the vehicle hard left or right the shield is rubbing the rotor. It cannot be bent enough without removing it. Can anyone tell me how to remove it?

I need to remove and bend the metal rotor shield that is directly behind the rotor. When I turn the vehicle hard left or right the shield is rubbing the rotor. It cannot be bent enough without removing it. Can anyone tell me how to remove it?

The dust shield. On track cars we take those off to help dissipate heat.

It has been a good 2 years since I removed mine, and I only have a vague recollection...but I seem to recall...

There are only 3 bolts holding the dust shield to the wheel carrier. The problem is the hole in the middle of the dust shield is not large enough to fit over the wheel hub, so if you want to remove the shield, you have to press out the hub.

You might find, though, that if you remove the caliper and the rotor, that you will have plenty off room to use your hands to reshape it or bend it out of the way. It is not a critical piece - like I say - most track cars have them removed.

The dust shield. On track cars we take those off to help dissipate heat.

It has been a good 2 years since I removed mine, and I only have a vague recollection...but I seem to recall...

There are only 3 bolts holding the dust shield to the wheel carrier. The problem is the hole in the middle of the dust shield is not large enough to fit over the wheel hub, so if you want to remove the shield, you have to press out the hub.

You might find, though, that if you remove the caliper and the rotor, that you will have plenty off room to use your hands to reshape it or bend it out of the way. It is not a critical piece - like I say - most track cars have them removed.

I had the same issue when I replaced my rotors and pads...all i did was bend it to make sure it's not hitting the rotors and it worked...

Say....what kind of sound do you get from it? I turned a tight steep curve the other day and heard a terrible metallic squeal coming from the rear. Assumed it was a brake, but it has not done it again. Could this be what I'm dealing with???

Bob

Say....what kind of sound do you get from it? I turned a tight steep curve the other day and heard a terrible metallic squeal coming from the rear. Assumed it was a brake, but it has not done it again. Could this be what I'm dealing with???

Bob

Squeal or a roar? I would check your wheel bearings. They can be hard to diagnose sometimes, noise in a tight turn makes me a little suspicious of a bearing.

Bob

Squeal or a roar? I would check your wheel bearings. They can be hard to diagnose sometimes, noise in a tight turn makes me a little suspicious of a bearing.

I really doubt bearing woes..... First it only happened once for 5 sec. Second it was a high pitched squeal, sounding very metallic like something made of spring materials or sheet metals may sound. Third, it also sounded very direct, rather than internal.

Ya know, us guys should become physicians the way we dissect a symptom or sound and diagnose diseases of the car bases an 5 sec of exposure to it. I wish my Dr. did as well!!!!!!

Bob

I really doubt bearing woes..... First it only happened once for 5 sec. Second it was a high pitched squeal, sounding very metallic like something made of spring materials or sheet metals may sound. Third, it also sounded very direct, rather than internal.

Ya know, us guys should become physicians the way we dissect a symptom or sound and diagnose diseases of the car bases an 5 sec of exposure to it. I wish my Dr. did as well!!!!!!

I had the same issue before. I just bend mine and it worked. I thought about removing it as well but looks like theres more involved to it. Try bending that thing a little more...

I had a similar problem after a wheel bearing change. I tried bending the shield back, but also faced clearance issues. I ended up wedging a couple of wood shims between the shield and rotor and left it overnight. this ended up working fine.