Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ECL without Catalytic Converter?

Hello guys, I have installed a new racing exhaust with no cataylic converter. The Engine Check Light signal then comes on saying the front and back O2 sensors are faulty. I have tried to relocate the after cat sensors out of the exhaust pipe with no changes. Can anyone tell me how to clear this code? Thank you.

I did some research on this subject last few days and I end up ordering the midpipes with sportcats. Without any cats I think will be hard to foul the computer. Theoreticly you can leave the precat O2 sensors any way on the exaust and for the second ones send a constant low voltage of 0.2-0.4 with a piggyback and adjust tilll the dme is happy. Curious if somebody did that already. I had to put cats anyway also to don't fail the visual inspection in Colorado.

• Admin

As long as the car is programmed for US emissions you will need all 4 sensors (before and after cats) to be allowed to clear the code.

You can program the car (for track purposes) to only look at the after cat sensors. You would need a PST2 or PIWIS tester and your IPAS codes to do that.

As long as the car is programmed for US emissions you will need all 4 sensors (before and after cats) to be allowed to clear the code.

You can program the car (for track purposes) to only look at the after cat sensors. You would need a PST2 or PIWIS tester and your IPAS codes to do that.

Won't there still be an error to reprogram to look at the 2nd set of sensors? There is no cat on the car right now. Sorry to ask. What is a PST2 or PIWIS tester and IPAS codes?

Won't there still be an error to reprogram to look at the 2nd set of sensors? There is no cat on the car right now. Sorry to ask. What is a PST2 or PIWIS tester and IPAS codes?

PST2 and PIWIS Porsche specific diagnostic and DME programming tools. Lots of indies have PST2; dealers have PIWIS, although I know one indy that has a PIWIS. Ipas codes are special keys specific to your VIN that let the PST2 or PIWIS operator do its thing.

You need to have your DME reprogrammed to Euro Norm 3 emission standard with a PST2 or PIWIS. You will not pass an emissions test this way, though.

I've done this (rather had it done for me) but my 986S is a track car and not driven on the street.