Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Pads Opinions Needed please

hardracing

Look for some first hand experience with Pagid Pads.

2007 GT3 RS Track (occasional street)

Black RS14 ?

Yellow RS29 ?

Any opinions on one over the other.

Have heard that RS14 will EAT your rotors quickly, specially if you use them on the street. made for RACE ONLY. Anyone confirm this.?

Or can you usethem on the street as well. Occasionaly.

Heard that Yellow is endurance pad... lasts longer, won't eat your rotors. And can be used on street as well.

Thanks for your advice guys.

2007 GT3 RS Track (occasional street)

Black RS14 ?

Yellow RS29 ?

Any opinions on one over the other.

Have heard that RS14 will EAT your rotors quickly, specially if you use them on the street. made for RACE ONLY. Anyone confirm this.?

Or can you usethem on the street as well. Occasionaly.

Heard that Yellow is endurance pad... lasts longer, won't eat your rotors. And can be used on street as well.

Thanks for your advice guys.

I have experience with both Black and Yellow, as well as Orange, on my track dedicated 986S with cast iron rotors. I don;t know about ceramic rotors if you have those.

I have tried several combinations, and what have settled on Yellow in the front, and Black in the back. Black does have a higher coefficient of friction and would theoretically go through your rotors faster - however, in my experience, I kill the rotors due to heat NOT friction.

I put Black in back in sort of a poor man's brake bias.

Both Yellow and Black have a very high MOT.

The Yellows last, in my case with R compounds, about twice as long as the Blacks and even more than that over the Orange. The Yellows are more expensive, but if you try Black in front and then Yellow in front on comparable tracks, and keep a record, you can figure out if the Yellows are worth the extra bucks - they were in my case.

I trust you know neither compound are suitable for street - they have to be hot before they provide good stopping power - street driving gives them an opportunity to cool down, and they are just not very effective at cooler temps.

Pagid publishes the operating ranges and other details at www.braketechnology.com

From personal experience, the RS29's are an excellent pad for a 997 GT3 for the track and they are a different compound from the stock pad (on a 997 GT3, anyway), although they look very similar. They work well, and seem relatively gentle on the rotors. Any pad will eventually eat through rotors and with the cross drilled rotors, you are going to have cracking long before you wear through them, so I wouldn't consider rotor wear as a decision point.

You should get 2-3 sets of pads per set of rotors, but rotors are a wear item and a critical part of your braking performance, so you may wish to add that cost into your mental track budget.

Regarding streetability, the RS29s are OK on the street, but squeaky and need to warm up before they get good bite. They're easy enough to change (at least the fronts), that you should switch back to your stock pads when leaving the track. That's what I do, anyway.

From personal experience, the RS29's are an excellent pad for a 997 GT3 for the track and they are a different compound from the stock pad (on a 997 GT3, anyway), although they look very similar. They work well, and seem relatively gentle on the rotors. Any pad will eventually eat through rotors and with the cross drilled rotors, you are going to have cracking long before you wear through them, so I wouldn't consider rotor wear as a decision point.

You should get 2-3 sets of pads per set of rotors, but rotors are a wear item and a critical part of your braking performance, so you may wish to add that cost into your mental track budget.

Regarding streetability, the RS29s are OK on the street, but squeaky and need to warm up before they get good bite. They're easy enough to change (at least the fronts), that you should switch back to your stock pads when leaving the track. That's what I do, anyway.

I hear that alot.

Downside is mixing brake pad compounds on the same rotors, which We are told takes away some of the effectiveness of the Brake Pad/Rotor Performance on the track.

I hear that alot.

Downside is mixing brake pad compounds on the same rotors, which We are told takes away some of the effectiveness of the Brake Pad/Rotor Performance on the track.

From a practical perspective, and in my experience, there is no noticeable impact on braking on the track. There are some suggestions for those of who switch, here: click here.