Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Four 2001 986 S wiring questions...

I hope someone can help me out with four questions that I have about 2001 986 S wiring.

1. Can someone confirm that the fuel gauge sending unit is sending an ANALOG not Digital signal?

(I don't have access to an oscilloscope)

2. Where would be the best place to tap onto the fuel gauge sending unit wire? (My first guess is behind

the gauge cluster but have not traced out which pin or wire color yet) anyone have a better location?

3. I would like to tap onto the reverse light wire (backup lights) with out going back to the transmission

reverse switch if possible to get an energized siganal when the back up lights come on. Anyone know

of a better location under the dash? (wire location and wire color?)

4. I need to tap onto the Speed sensor line. I know some people have used Pin 18 on the cabrio relay to

send speed sensor info to Becker Radios that are not getting sensor signals to activate GAL settings

Any better locations for doing this? Would behind the gauge cluster be a better place? pin and color?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Can you tell us what you are trying to connect? Shift computer? Lap timer?

Hello Loren, Thanks for the reply and that is a good question. I was looking for a way to have the chrono option in a 986 (see photo) I found a Coralba C-rally computer that had two clocks that worked at the same time (each can be set to count up or down). Any way I also got some features that I really did not need, but rather than have three wire leads wrapped up behind the unit I thought I would see if I could hook them up also. The anolog fuel wire, the speed sensor wire (for speed and distance) and the back up light wire (which will make the trip meters run backwards when the car is in reverse) Like I said I really don't need these features. If some one is interested I have photos and could write an article, or at least if I get it hooked up I can let the passenge play with it while I drive. The two red switches (left/power & right/ resets any computer function that is presently displayed. Thanks for any help...

post-39220-1248890380_thumb.jpg

post-39220-1248890463_thumb.jpg

• Admin

1. I do not know - you will need to test it.

2. The Violet wire coming from the instrument cluster B4 (Blue plug) is the fuel sensor.

3. Use the reverse connection under the drivers seat. See the TSB on the Traffic Pro install for details.

4. Gray Pink wire (several to choose from). Try to pick one that is not already in use.

post-1-1248894912_thumb.png

1. I do not know - you will need to test it.

2. The Violet wire coming from the instrument cluster B4 (Blue plug) is the fuel sensor.

3. Use the reverse connection under the drivers seat. See the TSB on the Traffic Pro install for details.

4. Gray Pink wire (several to choose from). Try to pick one that is not already in use.

post-1-1248894912_thumb.png

Thank you very much, especially the connection under drivers seat info, also I uninstalled the DPS a few years ago, so that connection is right behind the unit and empty now. You really saved me some time! Make it a great day!