Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

No Garage! Want to keep it clean! Car Tent?

Hi everbody, I just bought a beautiful 2003 996 c4s. I live in an apartment complex and am worried about sun damage, rain etc. I was thinking about setting up a car canopy or building a car port but im not sure how long it would take for the apt management to ask me to take it down haha. How do you feel about protecting it outside with a normal car cover? I was worried about the cover getting dirty and scratching the paint, breathability issues etc. Also does anybody know of any cheap and good quality car canopys?

thanks

So if you were me would you?

A buy a car canopy (rig it up to mount on pavement at your apartment complex lol)

B use a car cover

C just keep it clean and keep a nice wax coat??

Edited by Widebodyc4s

Hi everbody, I just bought a beautiful 2003 996 c4s. I live in an apartment complex and am worried about sun damage, rain etc. I was thinking about setting up a car canopy or building a car port but im not sure how long it would take for the apt management to ask me to take it down haha. How do you feel about protecting it outside with a normal car cover? I was worried about the cover getting dirty and scratching the paint, breathability issues etc. Also does anybody know of any cheap and good quality car canopys?

thanks

A buy a car canopy (rig it up to mount on pavement at your apartment complex lol)

B use a car cover

Find a new place to live! :D

Seriously though, B and C--I'd use a car cover. A decent one will set you back about $250-300; the more you spend the better it breathes and keeps moisture from building. After rainstorms you should remove it carefully and shake it out to make sure the cover doesn't cling to your paint and cause fine scratches. If you wash your car regularly and use the cover, you should have no problem from birds, sap, dust, etc.

Don't get a cover that says anything on it. A big Porsche logo screenprint is an excuse for some idiot to key your car or ding it. Try to find a cover with a window for your license plate, or flip it over the bumperettes in the back. Depending on where you live you could get a ticket or nastygram from apt. management if your plate is hidden.

And be careful with the cover on the exhaust tips! Keep it away from them if they're hot.

Mark

Sounds like if you that worried about scratching the paint

with a car cover, then you would be better off

renting a garage.

Just leave it out and drive it and park it mailes

away from where you can get a door ding.

Paul

thanks

B use a car cover

I have similar circumstances and I went with the cover. Haven't used it much, lately.

thanks

B use a car cover

Find a new place to live! :D

Seriously though, B and C--I'd use a car cover. A decent one will set you back about $250-300; the more you spend the better it breathes and keeps moisture from building. After rainstorms you should remove it carefully and shake it out to make sure the cover doesn't cling to your paint and cause fine scratches. If you wash your car regularly and use the cover, you should have no problem from birds, sap, dust, etc.

Don't get a cover that says anything on it. A big Porsche logo screenprint is an excuse for some idiot to key your car or ding it. Try to find a cover with a window for your license plate, or flip it over the bumperettes in the back. Depending on where you live you could get a ticket or nastygram from apt. management if your plate is hidden.

And be careful with the cover on the exhaust tips! Keep it away from them if they're hot.

Mark

Good Info. If you live in a wet area... Wait until you have to stuff your soaking wet cover into the trunk the first time. Also, It must breath Very Well or you may encourage corrosion. Great for keeping the plastic from fading! Cheers.

Bottom line: If you plan on driving it every day (or almost) you will soon tire very quickly of using the car cover. If it is a weekend/playtime/summer car, then get a cover. The really thick/stiff/multi-layer/ (NOAH) ones are a PITA to store and can cause something underneath to scratch the paint. You want the totally breathable ones that have no type of flannel or anything underneath, and are form fitted to the car and easily machine washable. They are usually around $250 - 300. They will last about 4 years of continuous use, before the elastic is shot, and they lose 80% of their water repellancy. I used a cover for 3 different covers over a 9 year period on my BMW before I moved to a house with a garage. The cover kept the paint and interior and top (cab) like new. I washed it about once a year. OTTOMH I can't recall what the make was, but it was the most breathable fabric with the best drap, Weathershield? maybe.

I also live in an apartment with no carport or garage. My Cayman is a daily driver and I use a car cover. I chose the Covercraft WeatherShieldHP fabric. I am very happy with it. Very lightweight and easy to wash and dry. On days when dew forms on the cover I use a synthetic chamois to wipe the cover down before removing it. I wash the cover in a laundromat commercial washer every 2 weeks using Simple Green. It will dry completely in about 5 minutes on high in the dryer. To prevent the cover from coming off in sudden Santa Ana wind conditions I secure it under the car with a quick release system. I use a small nylon cord with plastic carabiners at each end. They snap into a 1" ring I put into the tie-down strap on each side. The carabiners/rings were found at REI and were sold as key chains for $2 each. I pass the tie-down under the car with a carpenters folding ruler. I drilled one end and put a ring in it to snap the carabiner into for the other side. Depending on weather conditions, I can go 2-3 weeks between car washes, mainly driven by brake dust on the wheels. I wax the car about every 2 months with Meguairs Tech Wax 2.0. Only takes about one hour with the Meguairs polishing system. I usually polish out the clear coat once a year. I use a CRSpotless deionized water wash system to eliminate spotting and scratches. A garage would be nice, but would cost about $300 to $400 per month in additional rent. And a garage would do nothing to protect the car at work where there is no covered parking. Protection from the sun is the most important function of the cover I think. UV will degrade the plastic, leather and rubber over time. Second most important function is keeping stuff from settling on the car overnight.

-bruce