Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

RoW alarm battery replacement

Not sure about US/CAN cars but the RoW 996 for UK use is fitted with a separate battery for the alarm system.

I am fairly certain its on its way out as my car has been off the road for 3 months due to me breaking some bones in a non-driving related accident and the alarm is now going off on its own for a few seconds and then dying. The car has not moved and its just started to happen. So it cant be anything mechanical. I even checked for a mouse ;) but thankfully nothing around. Car starts 1st time and sounds sweet. I suspect the alarm battery has discharged and its causing the alarm to sound. Anyone know where the battery is located and how to replace it or how to disconnect iin order to charge it?

TIA

Edited by Scouser

I got the alarm unit out. It is indeed the battery that's the problem. There is corrosion in the battery socket where the connector fits. If I rock the socket extremely gently the alarm goes off.

The battery is on a bracket. It is definitely separate to the horn but the bracket attaches next to the main battery. The bracket holds the horn and the battery together.

The part number for the battery for future reference is 996.618.265.00. I will post pics later.

When I look at the pins sticking out the batter where the connector goes, there is battery fluid and it has corroded the pins and connector. Dont suppose anyone knows the part number for the connector?

There are two connectors. One is black and oval sort of shaped. That's for the horn. The other is an orange flat connector about 2 inch across. Its the orange one I need.

That isn't the battery - it is the tilt sensor. They fill up with water and that's what is causing your problem - it is really common. The later type tilt sensor can be retrofitted, which goes under the (UK) passenger seat. I believe there is a TSB, or it may be in the workshop manual.

Edit: It's in the workshop Manual - 96 64 32 "Converting installation position for tilt sensor, additional alarm system M536"

Edited by Richard Hamilton

That isn't the battery - it is the tilt sensor. They fill up with water and that's what is causing your problem - it is really common. The later type tilt sensor can be retrofitted, which goes under the (UK) passenger seat. I believe there is a TSB, or it may be in the workshop manual.

Edit: It's in the workshop Manual - 96 64 32 "Converting installation position for tilt sensor, additional alarm system M536"

Well blow me!

And here's me thinking it is a battery. Is there in fact a separate battery for the alarm as Tech9 told me?

Many thanks Richard.

The backup battery is inside the siren, but I don't believe that's the cause of your problem. I've never taken a siren apart, so I can't say if the battery is changeable, but I have never known one to go bad.

If you have water inside the tilt sensor, it will likely be shorting out somewhere inside. That will be what's causing the false alarms. I know a couple of people who have tried drying them out without success.

I've emailed you the instructions about the tilt sensor.