Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2005 Cayenne PCM version / reverse camera installation

I am trying to find out which PCM version do I have. I bought a 2005 Cayenne that came with NAV but doesn't have reverse camera. Does anyone have any ideas how to install a reverse camera on the factory PCM. I am thinking to buy a Multimedia Video Interface (from http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/bmy_search.php?b...e&Year=2005 ) that is why I need to know the version of my car PCM. Does anyone have any comments or suggestion?

Thank you

Ken

Try pressing the MAIN and TRIP buttons together and the version number should show in the top left of the screen. And you can search on Renntech.org for a lot more info -- both the CD and DVD versions of PCM.

As far as I know CD-based is PCM 2.0, DVD without touchscreen is PCM 2.1, touchscreen is PCM 3.0. Software/firmware version does not necessarily correspond to PCM version. Be sure to check out the TSB's under the Cayenne section on this site -- search for PCM. You may want to update your PCM's operating system software/firmware.

Loren posed an excellent chart on an older forum and the discussion covers some of your questions:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=2012&st=40

Other resources:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...d&pid=98995

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...munication/pcm/

Also, send your pics to the vendor and they should tell you what you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Odix... you are right. The 2005 without touch screen is PCM 2.1 . I already ordered the multimedia interface.. I'll post after the installation.. Before I unplug my PCM, do you know if I need any anti-theft code when I plug it back in? The reason I asked because I bought the car used and the owner didn't give me any code with the car manual.

Thanks

Ken

Thanks Odix... you are right. The 2005 without touch screen is PCM 2.1 . I already ordered the multimedia interface.. I'll post after the installation.. Before I unplug my PCM, do you know if I need any anti-theft code when I plug it back in? The reason I asked because I bought the car used and the owner didn't give me any code with the car manual.

Thanks

Ken

I have removed my PCM few times and didn't require a key to reactivate. Mine is a US model 2005 PCM DVD base without touch screen.

• 6 months later...

Hi Odix,

I got the part from UK but it didn't work so I sent it back and they told me that they are working on the new version of the daughter board so after almost 1 year they just sent it to me 3 weeks ago. I will work on it next week. I will definitely share some pictures if I get it work.

Ken

Hello guys,

After 1 year, I finally installed the video interface for my 2005 Cayenne PCM 2.1 . Initially , I ordered the Multimedia Interface from XCARLINK in UK for $140 but it didn't work, however the seller is very supportive. They accepted my return and promised that they will send me the update version, so I've waited for almost a year and I finally received it. Although the new version is capatible with my PCM but no video input show on the screen. The seller want me to take picture of my installation so they could figure out what I did wrong. However in the meantime I was searching on ebay and came across a seller who put up an inventory clearance sale for an interface made from Korea under the brand Exonic model EXI-PS05C for $112 so I bought it. But since it's a clearance item, they didn't give me the installation manual. I found another ebayer with the very same item but different brand and asked him to email me an installation guide. I am attaching the installation file for you guys to see. This interface works perfect for my reverse camera and other video inputs but the only problem is there is no audio input. You have to install audio interface or use FM Module. For now I am happy to use it just for reverse camera. If in the future I install the audio interface, I will post for you guys. I am attaching some links below for your info just in case you guys interested.

www.exonicmobile.com - the manufacture website for my interface

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120542528262&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT - this is the item I bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160390107447&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT - this is the similar item I found on ebay

If you guys have any questions on, please PM me. I will help you on how to remove an open the PCM to install the daughter board.

Ken

Install Porsche Interface_NV_RGB2.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for getting back to us -- great info! Take care and once you get your audio set up to go with your video be sure not to watch movies when you're driving on the freeway... :)