Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone know a good electrical guy?

I am using the switch from the Targa sunscreen as my garage door opener in my '02 Targa. The switch works great (I have two separate remotes) and it even looks like a garage door opening, but it is not lit. It is my understanding that someone who is very good with electronics could hack this to make it light like the rest of the buttons on my dash. It really bugs me right now and is a little difficult to see at night. Does anyone know anyone who has done this before and who would be willing to help me out on this (I will pay for the work)? I have a spare switch I could mail to the person.

Thanks in advance,

TD

Not sure how the targa switch is internally....but if it is anything like the CAB switch then you are in business. Very simple mod to do. What I did was "tap" into the 2 outside posts from my CAB switch (they are the ones that provide the light) and then ran the 2 taps to the two open outter posts on my other switch. Voila! Let there be light.

Now all we need to find is the schematic for the targa swithc (I have the others).

Dell,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the switches are the same, except, that I cannot tap into the outside posts because they are being used for the remotes themselves. In other words, I cannot use any of the posts for the hack, I must have someone solder directly to the board. I am not talented, or patient, enough for this.

As always, I really appreciate your help. Someday, we will meet, and the drinks will be on me.

TD

I just did this recently using the same switch. I tapped the backlight from the PSM switch, and just plugged in the two wires to the backlight on the targa/garage-door-opener switch. Ideally, you could just pick the same two wires used for backlight, but there are at least two different kind of switches. The PSM switch has a status light, so I had to figure out which wires were used as a backlight. Someone posted schematics of the two switches on here a while back. I'll try to find the thread and link to it.

-Scott

Here's the thread that shows two of the switch types. Look for the picture posted by Sandy.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2227&hl=

I believe the Targa switch matches the top switch. The PSM is like the one on the bottom because it has the status light. When I did mine, I connected pins 4+5 from the PSM switch to pins 3+5 on the targa switch.

I dunno what options your car has, but if you can find a switch of the same type (without the status light), then just connect the new switch in parallel with the old one using the same pins (3+5). If you need to connect it to the other type, do what I did.

Good luck.

-Scott