Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

transmition starts on 2nd

Hi,

I am having a problem with my TIP on auto. When I first start the car and put it in drive it is in 1st, but as soon as I move it, it goes to 2nd gear and when I come to a stop it does not go back to 1st. I have found myself in 5th gear and only doing 40m.p.h. When I shift to manual mode I go trough all the gears without a problem. Is this something serious or a simple fix. I do not know if it is true but I was told that the car has 2 modes, economic and sports, and that based on how you drive it you could put it in econo mode. Is this true, How can I fix it?

The Tiptronic does map your driving style and will start in 2nd as a normal pattern. I appreciate the fact that I can cruise around town and get excellent MPG and still "kick it" whenever I'm feeling a bit sporty. You are correct that the Tip CPU will adapt to your driving style and if you'd like to always be in Boy Racer mode you'll need to always drive aggressively, or simply kick it over to "M" and control it yourself. Ending up in 5th gear at 50 mph is not unusual and will result in better gas milage.

If you'd like to reset the learning curve, you'll need to disconnect the battery (remember the radio code or see the rules for requesting a code on this board before posting a "Lost Radio Code" post) and leave it disconnected for several minutes to reset the memory and then go out and drive aggressively for the rest of your life and that should do it.

Basically, what I'm saying is what you are experiencing is normal, and I think it's an excellent design. But just realize that while it is normal, you do have choices, just make sure you have a good radar detector.

gt2_sound1.mp3

How long have you had the car? What you describe is how it's supposed to work. It starts in 1st when it's cold, then after it warms up it defaults to start in second. If it's in second and you are at a stop, you can just stab the gas pedal it will downshift into first.

Same is true at 40mph in 5th gear; as long as "D"/ Drive is selected with the shift lever; simple stab the gas pedal and it will downshift into 4th or if you stab it hard and quick, 3rd.

I've never heard of a economic vs sport mode for the Tiptronic Transmission.

Great to hear, I was afraid it was a problem with the TIP. I feel a lot better now.

Well that is why I was worried I just purchased the car a month ago. Since I purchased the 98 I have pampered it (driving miss daisy style), so I guess it makes a lot of sense. Actually it makes more sense due to the fact that even though it is a 98, it looks like new, very well kept, and maintained. :renntech:

Do you have an owners manual?

You really need to read it cover to cover to discover the peculiarities of the Porsche. They are available online if you don't.

Link to links for manuals

And on the '98 you have to have it in manual to shift with the buttons, not like the later years where you can downshift even in auto. What I like best about my '01 versus the '99 I had.

Mike,

The link on your page to the owner's manual shows a "fatal error". The link to Becker is OK.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Porsche owner's manual is a required read. Even in hard copy, they aren't that expensive and will solve a lot of "problems".

Bill

Edited by whall