Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mysterious leak question: Please help!

I seem to have developed a mysterious leak just inside and behind the wheels. A small leak just inside and behind the left wheel, and a small leak just inside and behind the right wheel. I can't locate the source and the liquid that leaks is a brownish red color and has an oily consistency.

I know that the popular answer for engine compartment leaks is the coolant (I did just replace the expansion tank, cap, etc.) COuld it be coolant picking up grim and oil from the engine? Brownish red sounds like either oil or, I hesitate to say, transmission fluid. THe oil level doesn't seem low, and I don't know how to check the transmission level.

I have attached some photos of where it looks like it is leaking from and the leak itself on the concrete. I would appreciate any ideas you all have.

post-31749-1256309079_thumb.jpg

post-31749-1256309090_thumb.jpg

post-31749-1256309100_thumb.jpg

Best thing to do is to clean off everything you see - then take the car for a short test drive and then inspect to find the origin.

I will give it a shot. I have an appointment with the dealer next week, and was hoping to have some idea what it might be just to filter out the BS if there is somethiing simply I can do to narrow it down. Sounds like it isn't anything you all have seen before. Thanks for looking

I am inspecting mine under the access panels for potential fluid leak problems.

Your pic looks like oil on the floor.

If you remove the access panels underneath 996 you will get a unique view unlike past 911s .

It should all look like new underneath when you remove the access panels. Any wet areas will be easily identified.

Hard to remove them if in a hurry, otherwise start at the back, the aft panel will probably give you (tech) access to what are looking for.