Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Repainting Calipers

I have a 99 996 and the (black) paint is coming off the calipers in a few spots. It kinda looks like someone did a poor job of bleeding the brakes and let fluid run down the calipers.

Anyway, I have seen several kits for sale to re-paint them. Has anyone done this or used any kits that are available on the market? If so, which and how did it work? Any info, difficulty level, watchouts and tips would be very helpful.

Thanks

• Moderators

This may seem a little simplistic, but it has worked very well for me. If the paint is just chipped or is coming off if just a small area, I have found that using Testors model enamel paint does an excellent job of touching up brake calipers. My calipers are red, and I keep a bottle handy for touch up. This paint does not seem to be affected by the heat that the calipers experience.

I bought a spare set on eBay for around $500 from a '99 (when I owned my '99) and had them cleaned, bead blasted, rebuilt with new bleeders, bleeder screw boots and piston boots, professionally powdercoated in red with white porsche lettering. Pristine job, a few hundred bucks I think.

Unfortunately I sold the car before I could install them. Now that I have the '04 C4S Cab, I don't need 'em. Just sold 'em on eBay a week or two ago.

Email me and I'll dig out the contact for the powder coating if you want to go that route.

eric@bumperplugs.com :drive:

I have a 99 996 and the (black) paint is coming off the calipers in a few spots. It kinda looks like someone did a poor job of bleeding the brakes and let fluid run down the calipers.

Anyway, I have seen several kits for sale to re-paint them. Has anyone done this or used any kits that are available on the market? If so, which and how did it work? Any info, difficulty level, watchouts and tips would be very helpful.

Thanks

i painted my calipers using high temp spray paint. got it from auto zone. they actually sell it as caliper paint and comes in several colours. it was much easier, cleaner and look like it was done at the factory. can't say the same for the brush on kits. the brush on kits are also a rip off. they are 30~50 bucks where you can get the canned stuff for 5.

if you are just touching up then it is super easy. just clean with brake cleaner, mask what you don't want painted (like the porsche script) and spray away.

if you are respraying the calipers a differtent colour then it will take a some more work (not too much though) and some patience . clean the calipers thoroughly, mask then spray. careful, many thin coats are better than one thick coat (less chance of the paint sagging). if you are applying high temp vinyl decals then its a no brainer. i, however, did it the hard way. i used the decal's negative as a mask then sprayed the porsche script in silver (no white available) so that it is permanent.

another tip - if you are replacing the rotors, spray the rotor hats (i used silver) to prevent them from rusting.

hope this helps.

c :thumbup:

red-calipers1.jpg

red-calipers2.jpg

Edited by karlooz