Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adding Psm Or Traction Control

My guess is that PSM or yaw control probably requires significant extra electronics. It seems that, at first thought, traction control might not be impossible if it utilizes ABS-type wheel speed sensing, etc. Mine is eGas.

Humm, I think this is going to be difficult.

I have a '00 with traction controll (so I can't talk about PSM, but I assume that it will be the same case). And the big difference between a 00' car with traction controll and one without (beside the electronic) is that the car without traction controll have a "3 ways" braking system and the one with traction system have a "4 ways". In order to be able to controll individual wheels, you need a break line for earch wheels. In the non traction controll cars (might have change after 2000 but this is the case on mine) the rear wheels are controll with only one brake line (same ammounth of pressure for both sides.... so adding traction controll means adding a additional brake line (plus probably changing the ABS controll unit...)

And frankly, traction controll is not that great. PSM is supposetly much better....

Frenchy

Thanks, Frenchy!

I guess I was thinking that it might also work by reducing throttle. Because mine is also a 2K (S), I'll probably have the same brake limitations. It looks like a limited slip of some kind is the only practical improvement route.

Not having traction control, I cannot comment on how much it interferes with fun, but I have heard that Porsche's traction control/PSM are less invasive than others. I have an S and often drive it hard in the corners. If I'm not careful, I can blow away the rear end especially if there is a slight dip or bump. That's not fun and doesn't get you around a corner better or faster...

At times, I've wondered if traction control would have kept the rear in-line. I'm considering maybe putting in a limited slip when I get around to changing the clutch, but since I'm blowing away the rear-end, I'm inclined to think that the limited slip would have little effect. I'm not talking about throttle steering here, but rather putting power down in quick transitions or when the road is less than perfect (which is most roads).

A computer is much faster than I am...

PSM is definitely less intrusive than the BMW and Audi versions.

In my experience PSM is practically undetectable on the track - unless it saves your bacon when you really lose it. In theory it can interfere with a powerslide initiated by trailbraking or corner but I've never deliberately tried it.

At low speeds such as slow autocross corners, or dumping the throttle while pulling out of a gas station, it can be heavy handed. It lets you know you did something stupid, but usually only when you do something stupid.

The real benefit of PSM is in snow driving over 30MPH, catching the car if you hit black ice, etc. Unfortunately it can't defy the laws of physics and has trouble intervening in slow speed problems, like sliding down an icy driveway. In this case PSM will almost always keep the driver safe, but it may allow your Boxster to get dented.

I had my 2003 S with PSM, out to Road America and Gingerman for the first time this year with the PCA. Prior to that time I drove my 1985 911, which of course did not have any traction control, and was not a car to be driven carelessly. I was curious about how the PSM would work, and I must say that I was quite happy with this option. The PSM generally does not come into play unless you do something overly aggressive, in some cases probably something dumb. I like it because it gives you a "hint" that you are pushing the limit. I suspect the fastest laps can be cut when you push just to the limit where PSM is just about to kick-in. In my opinion you want to learn to drive right at that edge. If you can do that you are a smooth driver and are getting good lap times. If you go over the edge, the PSM gives you a hint and might also save your ***. If I went over the edge with my 911 it got very exciting quite quickly, not much room for error.

In my opinion, whether PSM comes into play depends upon how "smooth" a driver you are. On a track that I know well I can be very smooth in my driving and the PSM is seldom heard from, even though I am cutting some fast laps. Some drivers are very aggressive, and brake heavy and late, get on the gas early and heavy, and lose traction in the corners. This is exciting but not the fastest way to cut laps. For these guys PSM is a lifesaver, but they may feel it gets in the way of fast driving.

At Road America and Gingerman we had rain for a few sessions and this is where PSM really comes into play. In the wet it is very easy to get the car loose and I noticed that if I got on the gas a bit too much or too early in coming out of the corners the PSM would kick-in. After a while you got to know just where the limit was, and it was a good learning experience to develop smoothness and a feel for the limits of the car. In short, if you are a professional who can throw the car around and still cut fast laps, you will not like PSM. But, most of us are not at that level and for us PSM is a great option to have. Just from talking to people and watching others drive, it seems that some who dislike PSM have a macho problem, if they were playing football in the 1920's and 30's, they would be the guys playing without helmets.