Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help Got Super Glue On My Gauges

I was installing my new alu. instrument rings last night and as I was putting what I taught was silicone to attach the rings, my fingers got stuck together. Guess what it was not silicone it was superglue. Well some of the super glue went on the gauges clear face. How do I remove super glue from the gauges plastic face.

Sheesh! I must say you have guts posting that.

Nothing will get it off. Sorry but sounds like a new instrument cluster is

the only way. Not sure if you can even replace individual pieces of it.

Luckily they go quite cheap on ebay.

• Moderators

I have been looking for a cheap 996 cluster to put on my Boxster for a long time so I can have the extra 2 gauges. :P

The front face of the cluster can be removed, but Porsche does not sell a replacement part and neither does VDO.

You can pry the original plastic trim rings off to replace the clear plastic lense, but when the overlay is already glued on, I have never tried to do that.

If the front face is removed from the cluster then you can pull out all the clear plastic lenses from the back, which will end up damaged since the are also glued in place, but you do not care since the have glue on them. Then find a plastic shop make new lenses of the most thin plastic they have.

My frank suggestion, since you used super glue and not silicon or tape, is to ask a local speedometer shop if they can fix the damage.

I had the same problem last week--however, I managed to clean the dials by scrubbing them with a fine metal polish (I used Flitz, but I think any paste like silver polish should work). Don't give up yet, you might be able to save your dials!

You may be able to remove the glue with a polish as suggested - some final acrylic/plastics type buffing may be required to get a clear finish though.

Tip for next time - I prefer to use some thin double sided tape in a few small strategic locations (you do not need too much tape) around the inner perimeter of the rings to atttach them to the cluster - much safer and this method permits easy removal if required.