Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Cabriolet Top problem

2000 996 Cabriolet. 49k miles. Purchased from dealer approx 2 months ago. Car was taken in by previous owner for a top problem and he ended up buying newer 911. Dealer diagnosed top issue as weak battery and replaced. I've owned car approximately 2 months and have had the top up/down several times. On a couple of occasions the top while either going up or down would stop about 1/2 way thru the cycle and you wouldn't hear the top motor running. Release the switch and hit it again and it would usually(not always, sometimes had to hit switch a couple times) continue the operation to completion. Last night the top raised to the 1/2 way point and stalled. It wouldn't go forward until I reversed direction and then reversed it again - I had to do this about 4 times before I could get past that 1/2 way point. Battery voltage is fine. Not sure where to start looking for the problem - any thoughts on a systematic approach to solving this problem. On a side note, and I only bring this up because I saw someone post a similar issue and they stated it happened each winter...it was about 20 degrees cooler than it usually is when I go to raise/lower the top. Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Thanks so much. I'm sure this is the issue. Especially since one person describes the high pitch whine as the top is going up/down...that fits mine to a T. I'll do it this weekend with the John Deere fluid! I'll report back as well, but I'm sure this is it. I'm really pleased - I posted the same question on the PCA site and got back "take it to the dealer...too complicated for the DIY'er".

:renntech:

I would use approved fluid, Pentosin 11S or 202. I've no idea what John Deer fluid is and know of nothing else compatiable with the Pentosin fluid. WHy risk exspensive damage to your system by cheaping out on the wrong fluid??

Performed the service as described in the link. First thing I found was the cable on the passenger side was not connected to the ball link. I thought of just connecting and seeing the result, but was curious about the fluid level so I continued on. I found the fluid level to be low as well. Filled resevoir and put everything back together. Now I've only owned the car for a couple of months, but it is noticeably faster, smoother and quieter than it's ever been since it's been in my possesion. I cycled the top about six times so far.....but I feel fairly confident this was the fix. I'm sure the cable not being connected may have caused part of the issue - i'm thinking maybe the top torques a little bit and causes a bind, but I think the fluild level being low was also a part of the issue. Thanks again.