Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Locking/Unlocking issues

A while ago my key fobs stopped working to lock/unlock the doors and open the boot lids. I tried replacing the battery and even bought new button pads - no change the fobs still didn't work. Not wanting to spend a ton of money for new keys to solve that minor convenience, I have just been locking and unlocking the car with the key like any other Joe has to do with his car. However, some strange things seem to happen when I do this. The car is a MY03 base. I'm not sure if this is procedural issue or if I have something malfunctioning , but I would assume that I should be able to use the key normally in this manner without these issues.....

1) When I park and lock the doors from the driver's door using the key and NOT the fob button (which does not work either), then go away for a time (like to work or over night), then come back and unlock the doors from the drivers door using the key , three things seem to happen:

a) The alarm will go off within seconds if I do not immediately get in, put the key in the ignition, and turn it at least one position even though I have used a legitimate key......

'B) I can not seem to unlock the passenger's door from the lock/unlock switch on the dash...it is lit red, and stays red, no matter how firmly or how many times I push it. I have to reach over and open the passenger door from inside, then the red light on the lock/unlock switch goes out and it returns to normal operation.

c) The fuel door appears to stay locked. The next time I need to open it, I have to get out of the car, close the driver's door, lock and then unlock the driver's door with the key, then the fuel door will open. Kind of embarrassing at a gas station.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be malfunctioning?

Edited by Andy_M

If the Boxster is like my 996, those issues are all normal when you use the key manually. My 996 manual says if you use the key in the lock, the alarm will sound within 10 seconds of unlocking. It also says the central locking switch won't work if you used the key in the lock. As for the fuel door, you can use the manual release (behind the passenger door) and save a little embarrassment.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Andy_M,

DId you resolve your issues with your remote functions for unlocking/locking?

D.

hello,

problems with key remote locking and unlocking door.

1998 boxster (base). replaced alarm control unit (M535) from same year (1998) donor car with 2 key remote control heads.

key remote does not lock/unlock with key remote, but key remote opens/actuates gas cap door. no ability to lock door with console door lock button too.

tried both remotes but does not work. tried most, if not all, solutions found on board or elsewhere, including (thanks to all who contributed the ff:) but none have worked yet.

a) putting key into the driver's door and turning to the right while pressing the alarm/lock button on the remote.

B) switch ignition on, switch ignition off, remove key from ignition switch, within 6 seconds, operate remote.

c) unlock drivers door (if its not locked lock then unlock drivers door)

put key in ignition and turn to the "on" position within 10sec of unlocking door...

d) take battery out of remote, wait 10 seconds, put the battery of remote backwards (reverse polarity), take remote battery out, and install correctly.

e) Insert the key into the ignition lock and turn the ignition on. Then press the remote button until the blinking frequency rate of the central locking switch in the dashboard changes. Remove the key from the ignition lock and test function.

f) unlock by key, open the door and press button 1"

please help. thanks in advance.