Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear spoiler question

I have found, after following other Boxters, that the rear spoiler that deploys automatically

at highway speeds is particularly unsightly.

Is this device necessary in normal day-to-day driving at speeds under 100 mph?

Is this a "gimic" or is there a speed at which you would not deem it safe to drive without the

spoiler enabled?

I there a way (fuse?) to defeat this feature?

I know that there is a switch for manual operation but I want to turn it off it altogether..........

unless you're going to tell me that I am going to spin out.

At 65 or 70 it's probably adding a little to stabillity , 100 more so. Comicaly, when porsche introduced that concept way back when on a carraa I think, they tuned it down for the american market from 65 mph to 35 mph...make sure are friends,neoghbors and, strangers were impressed before you hit the highway. Did absolutely noything at 35.

Try it though, Theres a switch by your left foot you can put it down mid flight (I belive). Report back

Pk

It definitely affects aerodynamics even at 75mph. But the question is whether it is helpful, or needed for safety or handling at speeds below 100mph. I would say almost certainly no. I think it's more of a gimic than anything else. But at higher speeds, it may indeed play an important role in keeping the car firmly on the ground.

I have found, after following other Boxters, that the rear spoiler that deploys automatically

at highway speeds is particularly unsightly.

Is this device necessary in normal day-to-day driving at speeds under 100 mph?

Is this a "gimic" or is there a speed at which you would not deem it safe to drive without the

spoiler enabled?

I there a way (fuse?) to defeat this feature?

I know that there is a switch for manual operation but I want to turn it off it altogether..........

unless you're going to tell me that I am going to spin out.

If the German engineers designed it and put it on this car it has a reason to be there. Unfortunately the CHP knows that you are going 75 mph or greater if they see it up on the highway and if you decide to raise it to be cool you could get pulled over and written up for 75 even if you aren't speeding. There are ways to dress it up though...

post-47594-1259537355_thumb.jpg

If the German engineers designed it and put it on this car it has a reason to be there. Unfortunately the CHP knows that you are going 75 mph or greater if they see it up on the highway and if you decide to raise it to be cool you could get pulled over and written up for 75 even if you aren't speeding. There are ways to dress it up though...

No way they can issue you a speeding ticket for having your spoiler up just because it automatically deploys at 75mph, as there are many other reasons it would be up. The police would have to nab you using any of the usual methods. The spoiler being up is not a valid reason.

No way they can issue you a speeding ticket for having your spoiler up just because it automatically deploys at 75mph, as there are many other reasons it would be up. The police would have to nab you using any of the usual methods. The spoiler being up is not a valid reason.

If they see your spoiler up it will attract them to use one of the accepted methods. It is a CHP attention getting device. I got a ticket once by a CHP who hated motorcycles. He used no accepted method to determine my speed and admitted in court he estimated my speed. The citation was upheld by the judge. I was riding a Harley Sportster and in a line of traffic that was all moving along at the same speed. My bike was singled out because it stood out and he considered motorcycles unsafe.