Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag Light, Code P1265 but…

Here we go, first post :jump:

4 months into ownership of my first P-car, a 2001,US 996 Cab, 6-speed with 57,000 miles.

When I first got the car in August, the Airbag light would stay on for about 1 minute on start up and then go out. As the temperature got progressively colder, the light would also stay on progressively longer before going out.

Back then, I took the car to the P dealer for an oil change and a good once over. I mentioned the airbag light and the tech said it was “normal”.

The light has always gone out before the end of my commute. It is now staying on for 20 – 25 minutes as it’s getting pretty cold up here :-(

I stumbled across and purchased a cheap Chinese “Durametric”… sorry, I didn’t know any better and was really thrilled to learn that you didn’t have to get the DEALER to read the codes. I'll get a proper one in due time. The seller actually told me about Renntech :D

This is what I get:

“P1265 Factory Fault Code 301 Airbag Signal”

If the light is on, I can’t reset (obviously because it is seeing a problem), if the light is on, I can reset.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

• Admin

P1265 Airbag Signal – Signal Implausible

Possible causes:

– Airbag control module

– Break in wiring

– Short to ground

Note: With any airbag work extreme caution should be used.

Check wiring from airbag control module to DME control module for continuity.

1. Connect special tool 9637 to wiring harness (DME control module connector).

2. Remove connector of airbag control module.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/16, and airbag connector, pin 24 or 34.

Display: 0 - 5 ohms

If infinite ohms is displayed, check connector X2/5 or check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

Check wiring from airbag control module to DME control module for short to ground.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/16, and ground.

Display: infinite ohms

If 0 - 5 ohms is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

Check signal from airbag control module.

1. Connect special tool 9637.

2. Connect engine tester (oscilloscope) to pin IV/16 and ground. Use special input.

3. Ignition on.

The signal shown opposite should be displayed

post-1-1259952778.png

P1265 Airbag Signal – Signal Implausible

Possible causes:

– Airbag control module

– Break in wiring

– Short to ground

Note: With any airbag work extreme caution should be used.

Check wiring from airbag control module to DME control module for continuity.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/16, and airbag connector, pin 24 or 34.

Display: 0 - 5 ohms

If infinite ohms is displayed, check connector X2/5 or check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

Check wiring from airbag control module to DME control module for short to ground.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/16, and ground.

Display: infinite ohms

If 0 - 5 ohms is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

Check signal from airbag control module.

1. Connect special tool 9637.

2. Connect engine tester (oscilloscope) to pin IV/16 and ground. Use special input.

3. Ignition on.

The signal shown opposite should be displayed

post-1-1259952778.png

Thanks Loren, LOL, looks like I have my work cut out for me. There's a long cold winter ahead so it'll give me something to fiddle with.

If it gets to the scope however, I'll leave that to the pros.

I also have a CEL, but I will post later once I have a bit more info.

Cheers,

PS just purchased "996 The Essential companion", which should help me navigate a bit

• 2 years later...

Did you ever see this problem come to an end?

I too am suffering from a P1265. I have have just tried to reflash the airbag control unit and that was not the solution. Still have a bright red light ... still a P1625... even right after I clear this code the light is on (and eventually the code 1265 returns). Now I am down to checking the wires to the DME and getting a replacement Airbag Control Unit. I am very close to buying a replacement unit just to see if that fixes the problem... I could also use the unit from my '00 GT3 but I do not want to "disturb" a functioning system ;-) Plus the nuts doesn't look too nice after removing them with pliers...

Loren: In your post you referenced some work shop guide on how to eliminate possible problems. I do not have the "special tool 9637, pin IV/16" but could easily measure the wires without this (I guess) if I could sort out which pin corresponds to "special tool 9637, pin IV/16"!

This problem seems very rare, there is hardly any information on the www... Does anyone know how likely/unlikely it is that this problem is caused by faulty wires (or faulty control unit)? I do recall however having read a thread from I guy who performed a similar measuring procedure as I would like to.... Now I can't seem to find it again. Google provides too much variation regarding choice of search words and redirectings.. :/

Any ideas anyone?

• Admin

Did you ever see this problem come to an end?

I too am suffering from a P1265. I have have just tried to reflash the airbag control unit and that was not the solution. Still have a bright red light ... still a P1625... even right after I clear this code the light is on (and eventually the code 1265 returns). Now I am down to checking the wires to the DME and getting a replacement Airbag Control Unit. I am very close to buying a replacement unit just to see if that fixes the problem... I could also use the unit from my '00 GT3 but I do not want to "disturb" a functioning system ;-) Plus the nuts doesn't look too nice after removing them with pliers...

Loren: In your post you referenced some work shop guide on how to eliminate possible problems. I do not have the "special tool 9637, pin IV/16" but could easily measure the wires without this (I guess) if I could sort out which pin corresponds to "special tool 9637, pin IV/16"!

This problem seems very rare, there is hardly any information on the www... Does anyone know how likely/unlikely it is that this problem is caused by faulty wires (or faulty control unit)? I do recall however having read a thread from I guy who performed a similar measuring procedure as I would like to.... Now I can't seem to find it again. Google provides too much variation regarding choice of search words and redirectings.. :/

Any ideas anyone?

Please do not double post - your second post on the same subject has been removed.

IV is plug IV

16 is pin 16 on that plug.

9637 is a tool to safely test between DME pins and other areas without shorting the pin next to the test pin.

Ok - sorry about misbehaving ;-)

Still - which pin (if I do not have the special tool) is IV/16 on the DME connector? I mean, in this case there is no risk of shorting since battery will be disconnected as well as the DME and airbag control unit will too.

Is the wire between the DME and the control unit for an analog or a digital signal? Are there other airbag signals than CAN bus between the two units?