Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN Engineering RMS retrofit kit intaller in NJ?

Hi

1999 C2 coupe, USA 51,000mi

I've had my car for almost a year and my aftermarket warentee is about to expire. Given that many here have had mixed results with warentee providers and the expense of a new one, I'm probably not going to extend it. My main concern is catastrophic engine failure

I have no RMS or IMS leaks and the car has been a solid runner so far, but I suspect it might need a clutch soon since I'm getting a little chatter once and a while.

I have two questions for any that have an opinion:

1) Do you think it is worth doing a IMS retrofit kit and a RMS as a preventative measure when putting a clutch in? I know very little about the maintenance history of this car.

2) Does anybody here know of a good independent shop in the Cherry Hill area (Southern NJ, USA) that would be familiar with the proper installation of the LN engineering kit? So far I've had all work done at Cherry Hill Hill Imports, which is my local Porsche dealer. I'm not sure they would put in a non factory kit even if they know how.

Thanks in advance

Doug Davis

You need to contact Jake Raby at Flat6Innovations. He answered a similar question on this or another forum. IIRC there is no one in your area, and Jake ain't lettin' no shoddy shops ruin his rep.

Basically I believe it is good preventive medicine and will take my car to North GA as soon as I can afford the $3500 IMS upgrade/clutch replacement.

Jake does not believe R&R of engine is worthwhile w/o doing the clutch.

Hi

1999 C2 coupe, USA 51,000mi

I've had my car for almost a year and my aftermarket warentee is about to expire. Given that many here have had mixed results with warentee providers and the expense of a new one, I'm probably not going to extend it. My main concern is catastrophic engine failure

I have no RMS or IMS leaks and the car has been a solid runner so far, but I suspect it might need a clutch soon since I'm getting a little chatter once and a while.

I have two questions for any that have an opinion:

1) Do you think it is worth doing a IMS retrofit kit and a RMS as a preventative measure when putting a clutch in? I know very little about the maintenance history of this car.

2) Does anybody here know of a good independent shop in the Cherry Hill area (Southern NJ, USA) that would be familiar with the proper installation of the LN engineering kit? So far I've had all work done at Cherry Hill Hill Imports, which is my local Porsche dealer. I'm not sure they would put in a non factory kit even if they know how.

Thanks in advance

Doug Davis

My car, 107,000 miles, not one problem. No leaks. No nothing. All in a sudden, intermix... cracked cylinder and head... right now at shop doing engine rebuild.

Things happen. the 99s have the issues that they have. You will purchase some peace of mind, regarding IMS and RMS. Remember, though, that you still might experience cracked head/cylinder, which you can also address with Nickies and new pistons. But at this point, you are looking at an over 10k bill, practically a new engine.

Don't know anything relating to your second question, but as far as changing the Rear Main Seal and Intermediate Shaft Seal while you are doing a clutch, I would say absolutely! The labor for the R&R of the Engine and transmission are most of the cost. The approximate cost of the needed upgrade (which is several redesigns at this point) is about $125.00. There are updated pan screws, seals, and rings that with the latest version seem to be pretty solid. After about 6 tries it appears that they finally got it right!

So for ~$125 additional parts and just minor add'l labor, I would definitely replace.

Good luck!

DC

Edited by therock88

Not sure what the L&N Engineering parts are. To be clear, my information is based on OEM Porsche parts. Total is for all parts and includes:

900-067-369-09 screws

999-073-091-01 screws

997-101-212-01 Shaft Sealing Ring

996-104-215-54 Cyl Head Cup Seals

900-123-147-30 Seal Ring

900-380-019-02 Hex Nuts

999-385-004-01 Torx screws

900-385-275-09 Torx screws

996-105-017-02 Shaft Base (most expensive part at $62.75)

Total@ OEM Cost = $130.56

Have no info on L&N.

Having had the IMS inspection and seal replacement performed, I can tell you that it did give me piece of mind (I chose not to upgrade the IMS). Note that the risk when working with the IMS is that you may need to reset the cam timing, which can increase the repair cost quite a bit. Good luck.