Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Drivetrain Vibration (ala, "they all do that")

Hi Renntech'ers

Long time member, relative few posts, just gotta use the search tool and voila! Here's something I haven't seen discussed:

My new to me 2008 Cayenne Turbo has what I consider to be very weird behavior from the drivetrain. When under light throttle input and accelerating up a hill, the driveline shudders, almost like the motor is lugging. If you give it more gas, and the vehicle downshifts, it goes away.

I took it to my trusty dealer (I do actually trust these guys), and they told me they all do that...even the new Panamera's do it. It's really a 1000-2000 rpm phenomenon while cruising, but seems like it could be fixed with different software or perhaps different motor-mounts? I thought maybe by keeping it in Sport mode (which is vastly more fun) that it would keep it from doing it, but alas, it does not.

I posted this on Rennlist, and heard from another 'lister that he had the same issue and it's not fixable. Any thoughts from the smart guys here?

That sort of behaviour is what happens to me with my 06 CS. Just when you want to accelerate smoothly, it judders a little bit like it's lugging. Not horrible bucking and jerking, but just some unsmoothness. Downshift and it's fine (of course). Most passengers don't notice it, but I do (and so do some car buff passengers). Idle is generally OK, but not as smooth as I would expect.

As I mentioned in my other post, the Durametric tool shows some misfiring. I'm pretty convinced it's a bad coil (or more).

I told the dealer that the best way to see this happen is to get the tranny into M6 (just around 55km/h I think) and try to accelerate. The dealership said that Porsche does not recommend running it that way and this is normal. I have about a month left of warranty so I would like to get it taken care of soon. I'm collecting evidence so I don't have to waste my time at the dealership again -- I'll present the TSBs, Durametric logs, etc.

Now, if my knowledge isn't off, that low RPM area should be where the vehicle operates closed-loop lambda, so some cycling of the engine may occur under steady cruise conditions as it adjusts the fueling. That may be what the dealership is trying to tell you. But it shouldn't be creating such a noticeable drivability problem especially when accelerating.

Martin

That sort of behaviour is what happens to me with my 06 CS. Just when you want to accelerate smoothly, it judders a little bit like it's lugging. Not horrible bucking and jerking, but just some unsmoothness. Downshift and it's fine (of course). Most passengers don't notice it, but I do (and so do some car buff passengers). Idle is generally OK, but not as smooth as I would expect.

As I mentioned in my other post, the Durametric tool shows some misfiring. I'm pretty convinced it's a bad coil (or more).

Martin

Martin,

I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the drivetrain myself...it's an engine speed thing. It happens between 1400 and 1800 rpm in top gear. Keep me posted on what you find, and I'll let you know what happens in the discussion with the regional tech rep that I plan to have soon.

Thanks,

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Martin

Martin,

I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the drivetrain myself...it's an engine speed thing. It happens between 1400 and 1800 rpm in top gear. Keep me posted on what you find, and I'll let you know what happens in the discussion with the regional tech rep that I plan to have soon.

Thanks,

Scott

It may be the power shifting around from front to rear axels. An idea: deactivate PSM and determine if the problem remains exactly the same as when PSM is on. I notice (on my '04 Cayenne S) some subtle power transfers accelerating and decelerating under lower RPMs -- it seems odd but it is normal from what I can determine. The S does this with both PSM off and on. A friend has an '04 Cayenne Turbo which I've driven and it exhibits the exact feeling as my S.

Also, I have a new driveshaft and eight new coil packs (replaced due to failures) and plugs -- and the issue is still there. Hence my reasoning that it's normal.

Edited by odix

I heard the same answer from my dealer when I showed the problem, juddering at 1400rpm up to high speed. Answer 8 of 10 are doing that. However, I asked some other mechanics and all replied that juddering/shaking etc is NOT common or usual and always a sign of out-of-centre parts.

key problem is juddering periodically and stronger in high speed range between 230-270km/h.

Did you try when the gear-selector lever on Park mode if the car is still juddering between 1400 - 2300rpm? if yes, it´s something withe engine, torque converter or gearbox.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2004 S behaves similarly to your description occasionally. It almost reminds me of driving a car with a manual transmission and coasting at low rpm in one of the higher gears. I get a slight shudder and once I accelerate, its fine. I chalked it up to the German engineering interpretation of the automatic transmission? Good Luck.

Hi Renntech'ers

Long time member, relative few posts, just gotta use the search tool and voila! Here's something I haven't seen discussed:

My new to me 2008 Cayenne Turbo has what I consider to be very weird behavior from the drivetrain. When under light throttle input and accelerating up a hill, the driveline shudders, almost like the motor is lugging. If you give it more gas, and the vehicle downshifts, it goes away.

I took it to my trusty dealer (I do actually trust these guys), and they told me they all do that...even the new Panamera's do it. It's really a 1000-2000 rpm phenomenon while cruising, but seems like it could be fixed with different software or perhaps different motor-mounts? I thought maybe by keeping it in Sport mode (which is vastly more fun) that it would keep it from doing it, but alas, it does not.

I posted this on Rennlist, and heard from another 'lister that he had the same issue and it's not fixable. Any thoughts from the smart guys here?