Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need a ballpark figure on damaged front bumper

Any ideas , guesstimates been-there-done-that are welcome. Give it your best shot.

Probably a common fix for some I would imagine.

By the way, just what is that dented cooler in the drivers side front fender? oil cooler or ac condenser?

Thanks, not my car just wondering.

post-53477-1264173313_thumb.jpg

Used bumpers are easy to come by as many people replace them with aftermarket kits. I'd say $200 for the bumper. $500 for paint. It's also questionable as to whether or not the bracket the bumper bolts to would have to be replaced. It looks bent up. No idea on the price for that.

That is the A/C condensor that is dented up and leaking. The radiator behind it is most likely damaged as well. Probably $300 for the radiator, $150 for the condensor. Another $40 for the A/C dryer. Probably another $100 - $200 to have the system put under vacuum and recharged.

You'd also need a corner reflector for the headlight and a new rim. $40 for the reflector. Not sure on the wheel. Probably $200 depending what you can find to match.

Then there's the question of whether or not the suspension and frame were damaged. Impossible to tell without inspecting underneath.

Remember, adding up those numbers that you can probably double it to account for labor costs.

Edited by JeTexas

+1 on the unknown suspension damage. You didn’t tell us how this happened so I am left to guess the direction of impact. Your picture doesn't have enough resolution to enlarge for detail but from what I can see you are most likely in the 2-3 thousand dollar range. Assuming you are taking it to a body shop that is. If you can paint and repair it yourself and buy all the parts used you could probably do it for under a grand. Good Luck and let us know it turns out. B)

R/GW

Edited by goldenwarrior1

I agree with what has been said, but it also looks like the headlight has been knocked pretty hard which means you could have damaged the tray it fits in, that is probably another few hundred dollars plus a new headlight, the amber ones go for about $150-250 on eBay. My best guess would be about $2500-3500 at a shop, and around $1000-1500 if you DIY most of it and buy used parts.

The more I look at it and the way the headlight is sitting, I don't think it's the headlight tray that's broken. I think it's the inner fender assembly that the bumper and headlight trays attach to. I don't know how much that piece costs, but replacing it is going to take a lot of disassembly/reassembly and be a pain in the ***.

Add in the cost of at least an alignment, more likely a bent control arm. Even if you fix the cosmetics, if you don't fix the suspension it will eat through a tire every couple of months, and Porsche tires are not cheap.

Kraftwerk,

Your bumper is not really your prob. If they,re $200, good.

Radiator: fins appear to be flattened, you can fix it if your handy. Other wise $300

Hoods popped: if the result of the accident?. your inner-inner fender may be pushed in. but the hood dosn't look twisted

Plastic inner liner: gone, not to expensive. Lots of little bolts and… berries $100

Head light: pretty much gone $150 ???

U-channel bumper (inner): may be bent but more importantly, It has probably telegraphed force into its own mounting brackets and possibly mounting points on structure and thus the whole front end probably got a nudging sideways a bit. Bumpers are designed for front end hit, Not much more.

Suspension; If it blew your tire, probably tweaked the suspension more. (part of frame straightening $???)

Hood doesn’t look twisted a bit. If it is, Think tarzan

Frame straightener.: It most likely wants to spend time on a one. It’s a real trick to dial these in straght

Parts: None are going to effect the performance, the looks yes. I’d go all GOOD junk yard stuff.

Good luck

"Lots of little bolts and… berries "

Yeah, its not the bolts I am worried about its the berries!

There are too many mysteries. Radiators can be usually be repaired, hard to tell if this one can from a photo,

or one could delete the a.c. I suppose.

Thank you for all you responses gathered from experience.

The guy wanted 6500 for it, a 1998 (non-S) but

all the numbers are not really adding up to a bargain...It is an unknown quantity, as all projects tend to be.

These kind of hits can also make the convertible roof get out of alignment and whistle at speed

or leak in hard to find spots which would annoy the heck out of me.

Edited by Kraftwerk