Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What is connected to the radio fuse in 99 boxster?

I was having issues with my battery, there was a short somewhere causing the battery to drain. My dad was able to determine that the short was in the radio, and more specifically, the actual radio and not the cd changer. He currently has the radio fuse taken out, and by doing this, the short is gone and the battery is no longer draining. Does anyone know if there is anything else connected to the radio fuse? In some cars other things will be connected, for example the cigarette ligher or something of that nature.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

- Michael

If you are talking about fuse B2 - then the answer is no - just the radio.

post-1-1264266533_thumb.png

Yep, that was exactly what I was looking for Loren, thanks!

Also, after removing the radio, we noticed a little box behind the radio which is connected to some kind of module right above the fuse box and they are connected together with a little co-ax cable. Also, there are 2 wires spliced into the radio wires and they go to the module right above the fuse box. there is also a relay right before the module above the fuse box.

I know that isn't a very good description and I do not have any pictures, but does this sound correct or familliar? Is this something that would have come standard or was it something added in after the fact? Any ideas what it could be?

People used to add "noise suppressors" to radios to mask some deeper problem. I forget how they worked. If is looks kludgey, investigate.

Also, Here in the arid Southwest it's rained more in the last week than it has in the last 8 yrs. Both my Box, My wifes Lexus are all caddy-wampums. The ole' BMW cruiser got an ominous light blinking on the dash. If your in arid climate with sneak rainstorms nothing like Dry rubber and sneak storms. Also, if it has been wet, check your drains, Either side of the battery, either side of the engine compartment.

Regards, PK

Savior dads time, eye's and ears wide-open. I once had an old on-call particle-physics dude to bail me out.

Edited by pk2

All right, so here is the deal. I talked with my father an hour or two ago, and supposedly the box right behind the radio had a cat5 telephone port. So, it looks like it was some sort of telephone/communication system.

Not really sure how accurate this is, but my father's assumption is that it was some sort of after-market addition, possibly even from porsche that was added in after the fact, not stock. He also assumed that whoever had added it bought a newer model and took out the hookups and placed those in the newer model which already had a navigation system and everything which had the appropriate hardware already and didn't need the after-market additions.

With this additional stuff plugged in, it was pulling 200 mA, and would completely drain the vehicle in less than a week.

He pulled this junk out and now it drops down to 13 mA after everything "goes to sleep". According to his mechanic data (alldata), a 25 mA draw will completely drain a battery in 30.5 days. 25 or less draw is considered acceptable, so it looks like my problem is solved.

Thanks for all the info and help guys!