Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recovering dash skin...possible?

I'm looking at a 996 Cabriolet with a badly sun-damaged dash top panel. This is the main dash "skin" but doesn't include not the raised portion where the gauges are. Porsche dealer price is $2200 for a replacement. No way! Has anyone removed the dash skin and had it recovered? Its it a monumental job?

• Moderators

Removing the dash cover is not hard to do, it is just involved, because of all of the stuff that has to be removed to get the dash cover off. Once all of the instruments, vents, center console stack, etc. are removed, then the dash panel comes off with about 12 screws.

Once you have the dash panel off, then it is easy to recover it with new leather.

I have recovered the center console, defroster vents, door handles in black Alcantara, the console lid and side trim pieces in savannah beige alcantara. Was wanting to cover the dash pod and dash in the future. Without having stitching its fairly easy to do. I think the stitching option makes it look better but when I can get a yard of Alcantara from Gulf Fabrics (~$100) and cover most of what I want it's hard to justify the extra cost for stitching. Just depends upon how much you want to spend and if your willing to live with some mistakes as it will take some learning.

I'm looking at a 996 Cabriolet with a badly sun-damaged dash top panel. This is the main dash "skin" but doesn't include not the raised portion where the gauges are. Porsche dealer price is $2200 for a replacement. No way! Has anyone removed the dash skin and had it recovered? Its it a monumental job?

Due to sun damage I'm currently having my entire 996 Carrera 4 dash reupholstered by Classic 9 Leather Shop who specializes in Porsches. I’m having the dash and lower center console completely custom recovered in Alcantara and genuine leather including the instrument cluster cover at a cost of about $1400 plus the cost of the dash removal which I had done by my local Porsche certified mechanic; however, if you are confident in your abilities you can remove it and reinstall it yourself and save money but there is a significant amount of work involved. I’m also having my steering wheel redone in Alcantara with additional padding.

Here is their website for your review.

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/

Steff

Edited by steffd

I had seen http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/928Dash.html referenced on some Porsche forum a long time ago and bookmarked the site. Don't know much about the guy, but he says he now does Boxsters, which have the same dash as a 996.

Since your profile says you are somewhere in Ventura county, there are a number of decent and not expensive auto upholstery places in Oxnard if you're not going after 100% authentic. I had the bench seat on my Toyota pickup reupholstered for $120, and the quality was as good as the factory original. If you're anywhere near Oxnard, you might want to get some trusted recommendations and stop by some of the shops to check out the quality of their work