Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2004 996 and when I unlock the doors using the key in the lock, the alarm goes on after 10s unless I put the key in the ignition and turn it to accessory. When I use my remote to Unlock, I have no issue (the alarm system get deactivated at the same time as the door get unlock)

Any idea what is goign one?

I know the manual mention that this "might" happen, but they do not say why or how to prevent it?

Frenchy

Edited by frenchy

My understanding is that is the way it is supposed to work. Same thing happens on my Cayenne too. I imagine it is a security feature, so if someone gets the door unlocked somehow and has no key the alarm starts sounding to prevent theft.

DC

That is weird!

I usually do not carry the "big key" with the remote (too big) so I usually use the "spare key" that has no remote. I also have a 2000 Boxster and I do the same with it (use the sapre key) but I never notice that behavior on it!?...

The manual talks about about an "Emergency operation"

"Unlock the driver's door with the key at the door lock. Open the door and switch the ignition within 10 seconds in order to prevent the alarm system from being trigger". So I assume what they call "emergency operation" is to use the key instead of the remote to unlock the car. I was thinking that I had "enabled" the "emergency operation mode" by doing some cryptic key lock/unlock sequence!

JF