Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

NEED HELP...Clutch noise / hard Pedal before startup

Hi , I need some help... i just purchased a 2002 turbo... 37k mile nice clean car.. has some mods,,, FVD exhaust,FVD coilovers, ect... the problem is that when i go to start up the car the clutch pedal is very stiff ... once it starts up it get soft.. i believe that is because the accumulator is bad... i maybe wrong... the other problem is there is a rattle noise ,, when i push the clutch in it go's away.. when i release the clutch it make that rattle noise... it rattle form idle to about 2000 rpm and then it go's away above 2000rpm... it doesn't rattle if the clutch is pushed in... very strange to me as when i have had a thow out bearing go bad on one of my other cars in would be heard and felt when i would push the clutch pedal in... this one make the noise when the pedal is out.. and even make the noise when in gear up to 2000rpm then it go's away.... has anyone you you guys had this problem.......... :o :o

Regards

Manny

the clutch feel should be normal, it uses the power steering pump to proving pedal assist, which doesn't happen until the car is started. as far as tha rattle, are the clutch and/or flywheel stock or some aftermarket lightweight parts?

I don't know... i think its stock... i do know that i will need to replace it soon as when it gets on boost in 3rd or 4th gear it starts to slip

would a after market clutch made noise when not in gauged?

the car seem to have a lot of power .. when you get on it, wow its go's i believe it has some type of flash as it hits 1.1bars quick... my partner has a 2008 turbo and it can't keep up with this car...

Any suggestions

Manny

lightweight flywheels often chatter at lower rpm, which is why you see race porsches revving about 1500-2000rpm when rolling around the paddock, it is due to the lower rotational mass and less inertia. I would lean toward a clutch slippage issue or something else clutch related. If it is slipping at higher boost then is probably slipping at takeoff as well. Have the flywheel looked at closely when you have the clutch replaced. Unless you plan to track the car I would recommend Porsche factory clutch and flywheel over any aftermarket parts.

Mattntp

thanks Mattntp... I ended up going by a local Porsche shop today.. while i was there a other guy with a 996 turbo like mine showed up and he also had the same noise ... the shop told me that he had a after market light clutch and they said they make that kind of noise... as for the slipping clutch they said that it will need to be replaced ... i plan on tracking the car ,,, they told me that the oe clutch wold work.. i am not to sure about this!!! they also told me that it would take 18 hrs to do the work... they claim that they have to bring the motor and trans down only on the turbo ... is this true.... 18 hrs seem like a lot... i have read on here that it take more like 7 to 8 hrs if you take your time....

Manny

I bought a clutch setup from UMW and had it installed lcally...installation time was 9 hours @ $100 per hr plus some pentosin. 18 hours must include a coupe union breaks, going home for dinner, a siesta in the afternoon, and time out to watch the news. Call around and ask some of the independents for their flat rate manual charges for a clutch replacement. I wouldn't go OE...as long as you're going to go in there, upgrade your clutch. Get the Sachs GT2 upgrade...you wont' have to mess with it again.