Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cracked gas sending unit

My 03 Boxster S has a gas leak at the sending unit. I remember reading a post in here about some sort of sealant that can be used to fix cracks in gas tanks and such. I think Toolpants wrote about????? I would replace the sending unit but I already did that and this one from Pelican parts only lasted about 3 months. I don't feel like going through the pull out and replace again. Does anyone know what a good gas sealant is????

regards,

Scott

I guess there could be something wrong. I would really appreciate it if someone could explane the way this assembly works and that might help me trouble shoot the root of the problem. I do not have any faults using the durimetric and my car runs great. My gas milage is poor though, I'd say about 15 mpg. Any thoughts?

scott

Don't remember if it was 02 or 03 when they changed the design. The 03 has no return line, there is a pressure line coming out the top of the tank that goes to the engine with the fuel flow meter mounted right there on the tank. When mine leaked I got a puddle of fuel on top of the sender that I most noticed when backing into a parking space because the fans would blow the smell from under the car.

Was the sender you get from Pelican an OEM Porsche part? I got mine from Sunset, was not in stock, took a week, and was about $170 plus shipping.

If you read the owners manual it warns against filling the tank, and not to "top it off". I think the logic is if you fill the tank FULL then park it, there are coolant lines and such which would warm the tank and make the fuel expand, amybe causing damage to the tank. The sender is prob the weak link, it would crack or fail, I believe that's what happened to mine.

I don't know that I'd try to seal one, mine was cracked around the outlet where it makes the 90 degree bend. Is yours cracking in the same place?

The larger port on the left is the outlet, mine cracked in a circular ring around the outlet. The hose to the right is the vent to the cannister for fumes and vents. If you notice the pump outlet makes a sharp turn then goes through the transducer for fuel flow. There may be strain in the pump housing from vibration causeing the cracks. I think mine had velcro or something to retain the transducer. Also, how tight did you tighten the lock ring? When I did mine the ring was finger tight, and I tightened it much tighter, I think the spec is 30 ft pounds or simillar.

The fuel pressure regulator is part of the sender unit, so there is no return line. I think mine failed because I filled it to the rim on a warm day, and the next day it started leaking. Do you stop yours when it first cliecks? Or fill it to the rim?

I never add any more fuel once the gas stops on its own. I tightened mine fairly tight using a screw driver and hammer to tighten it. I could have gone tighter but once I felt it was snug enough not to leak I left it alone. I'm still not sure what would have caused this part to fail so soon.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

I never add any more fuel once the gas stops on its own. I tightened mine fairly tight using a screw driver and hammer to tighten it. I could have gone tighter but once I felt it was snug enough not to leak I left it alone. I'm still not sure what would have caused this part to fail so soon.

Scott

Hi, I just remplaced my fuel pump and the gas gauge doesn't work now. Does anyone know if you have to reset it the fuel pump?