Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pioneer Avic Z110BT Install: Questions

Hello gentlemen,

I recently had a good friend of mine who happens to be a car stereo installer put in an Avic z110bt in my 2001 Boxster S. For the most part, the install went off without a hitch. It looks quite professional (Using one of Trilleunaires kits) I just have a few questions regarding some minor things that are a bit screwy after the install.

First, the unit doesn't recognize the difference between day and night. I assume this has to do with improper connection of the illumination wire (or lack thereof). Where should I wire the unit's illumination?

Second, the unit does not seem to remember EQ settings; from what I've read, this means there is a miswire somewhere and its not getting its constant voltage feed while the car is turned off. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Third, after careful consideration I decided the best place to mount the GPS and XM antenna would be on the plastic cowl in between the hood and the windshield, right above where the wipers rest. The sticky pads that came with these antennas lost their stick after just one rainy day. I have ordered some rare earth magnets to mount underneath the cowl directly below where I want the antennas to mount, in order to retain a stock look while holding the antenna in place.

What would be the best way to get underneath the cowl to epoxy these magnets in place?

Fourth, when left for any period of time in the direct sun, my alarm is sounding. This is really annoying, especially at work where we have no covered parking. I'm guessing the thermal expansion due to direct sunlight is causing something to make contact, but I really don't know where to start.

Again any advice on this is appreciated.

Thanks folks, Renntech is the best. :)

Edited by Piper

This diagram shows the wire colours you need to connect.

As for the GPS antenna, why not mount it where Porsche put the antenna for PCM - ie, under the cover in the centre of the dash, where the alarm LED is located. That's waht I did with my AVIC, and it also makes the wiring easier, as it is so close to the head unit. There is a metal plate in there which the antenna sticks to.

You really need to get the fault codes read on the alarm system. Also, it stores the last ten events, so should show you what set the alarm off.

post-4000-1265655663_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info!

Wow, its amazing how different the wiring diagram is from Crutchfields supplied diagrams. I will have to show this to my installer.

To answer your question on the GPS antenna, its because I have to mount an XM antenna as well. They are actually quite similar looking, and look quite nice when mounted symmetrically on the windshield wiper cowl. Also I've heard that to ensure the best possible reception you should have the antennas outside of the vehicle.

Should I be able to read the alarm fault codes with a durametric tool, or will I need to take it to the dealer and see what the Piwis says?

Thanks again :D