Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hmmm Amsoil Anyone?

AmsOil is not an oil additive, but a brand of synthetic oil. AmsOil is supposedly the first company to manufacture synthetic oil. It is also supposedly the best stuff...as well it should be at $8.00 per quart for the 0W-30. Check out www.amsoil.com

In college I majored in Mechanical Engineering and was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers. In our highly competitive Formula SAE car, we decided on the exclusive use of AmsOil lubricants.

Here is a post from a guy who has done WAY TOO MUCH research on this topic:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...ight=amsoil+bob

• Moderators

If you want to read way too much on oil, there is an oil message board. http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi They get data sheets for oils, test new oil, and test oil once it has been used.

We have work on cars days where local owners can stop by and change the oil. We had a guy bring a non Mobil oil. It was either Amsoil or Redline. I do not remember because I had no problem putting it in. His car is still alive.

:drive: I do all my repairs and maintenance, and have been for many years.

I'm from the OLD school where you change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles, gradually I advanced to 5,000 miles using synthetic oil. The Boxster and BMW have oil change intervals of 12,000 to 15,000 miles. I have swithched to Amsoil 5w40 synthetic and will change oil at recommended intervals or once per year. I still change the oil filter every 5,000 miles.

There is a ton of information out there on all oils if one has the time and desire.

Donie

I would guess the logic is that the premium synthetic oil recommended has all the additives you need and the additives remain sufficiently protective throughout the recommended oil life. This is apparently justified since they are EXTENDING the recommended oil change intervals for MY 05.

I've been using Amsoil 20W-50 (Series 2000 synthetic racing oil) in my '99 BMW M3 track car for several years now and have been very happy with the results; and yes, it works fine away from the track as I still drive the M3 on the street. Other trackies also swear by their product.

I haven't tried it in my Boxster as it's still under warranty but once its warranty ends, I would not hesitate using Amsoil products.

As for engine additives, many automobile manufacturers strongly advise against them as they may contain compounds that damage components. I guess a similar situation is when BMW introduced Nikasil cylinder lining in its V8 engines in the mid 90's and suffered major warranty claims in North America because we use petrol that contains higher level of sulphur and it corroded the cylinder bores prematurely. BMW had to replace many of these expensive V8s in the 5 and 7 series automobiles and changed manufacturing processes to replace the Nikasil lining in these V8 motors.