Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Now What Should I Do???

skl

Have the car in today for the DME W414 upgrade and the dealer calls to tell me I"ve won the lottery- I'm one of 12 affected by the dreaded valve spring retainer "problem." I'm actually al little nervous even letting them do this DME thing and replacing a non working horn and sure don't want them REBUILDING my engine! I'm not sure the dealer I bought the car from is up to the task either. Living in Iowa you don't have a lot of choices and non of the dealers anywhere near here sell that many P cars and both dealers I've dealt with each sold ONE GT3. Should I talk to the regional Porsche service rep? Would they ever let a Porsche race shop like Kelly-Moss in Madison WI do the work as I'd trust them. Or take it to a bigger dealer in a bigger city in the midwest?? **** :censored:

Have they told you what is actually involved in this job? I'm no expert but from what I know of engine rebuilds, doing the head is much easier compared to getting into the case. Pulling the engine and tranny shouldn't be a big deal, assuming they have all the right tools. Once the engine is out, get the head off would seem pretty straight forward as well. You may want to talk to Kelly Moss or someone to see what's really involved. Maybe it's not that difficult.

I don't think it matters too much which dealer you take it to. I doubt if any of them actually do much engine rebuilding, especially on the late model cars. I know my dealer usually subs out that work to a race shop near by. BTW, if you talk to Kelly Moss you may want to ask if they actually do the rebuild work inhouse. There aren't many people who can do it and it's not all that profitable, so many shops end up subbing it out.

Karl

• 4 weeks later...

Car being shipped to Loeber Porsche tomorrow to have the valve retainer "repair" done. They've already done one and the tech is familiar with the car. Has to be aligned afterwards because part of the suspension has to be removed to get the engine out apparently. Needed to check it anyway- will be interesting to see how it was aligned from the factory... will let you folks know how it goes. Like I'm going to be driving the car for the next few months anyway... March is a long way off in Iowa!