Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Keyless Entry Question

Day 2 with a MY98 Boxster under my belt, and life is good. I do have a couple of questions, though . . . maybe you gurus can help.

The car is equipped with a Viper 300+ security system. When I picked up the car, I noticed that when I hit the channel 1 button on the remote, the alarm chirped and the parking lights flashed, but only on the passenger side. That seemed odd, but didn't concern me. I didn't notice the behavior of the alarm LED. The previous owner mentioned in passing that the car battery had been replaced recently. Before reading the manuals, I started playing with the remote (sorry - that's just how I am), and soon the alarm LED was on steady, and the only thing I could make the alarm do was activate panic mode. So I started reading. Turns out I had gotten myself into valet mode. O.K., I exited valet mode and the alarm seems to be working fine - even detects a door zone failure if the dome light hasn't dimmed before the alarm is activated.

Now the question - I THOUGHT the Viper 300+ was hooked up to the the central door lock system to provide keyless entry, but the only way into the vehicle currently is by manually unlocking with the key. Does anybody happen to know if the Viper 300+ can or should control the door locks? I have checked out the central lock system, and it is working properly. I called the previous owner to see if it had keyless entry, and goofy as it sounds, she can't remember. (She only had it for a year and drove it very little - it was put in service in June '98 and it has 36,100 miles on it).

Anyway, if any of you guys have a clue, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

- Pete

From the spec's i found about the viper 300, it should support unlocking your doors.

Because only the driver side parking lights flash, it makes me think corners were cut by whoever installed the alarm. The alarm needs a little splitter thingy to make both sides flash. The alarm needs to splice into the central locking system (best place is under the driver seat) in order for the keyless entry to work. I have a wiring diagram if you are interested. The buttons may need to be reporgammed.

If you want to take out the drivers seat be sure to disconnect the car battery, otherwise the airbag light will come on and there is no way to turn it off unles you have a pst2 tool. Also, make sure you have the radio code for when you re-connect the battery.

Congrats on getting a Boxster. Good luck.

Larez2

wow, didnt know the 986 didnt come with keyless. mine is built into the key. the DEI 300 is a pretty decent alarm. it should lock the doors. sounds to me like some rookie DIYer installed the alarm and did't know anything about the car. the lights need to be split as mention and I bet you dollars that the central locking wasnt tapped.

Edited by secretaznman4u

Thanks for the info.

I can't believe the information available here - I wonder if all cars models have this level user community support, or is it only for special vehicles like ours? :thumbup:

Larez2, I sure wouldn't mind the wiring diagram if it's not to much of an inconvenience to send it to me.

Thanks!

- Pete

Thanks for the info.

I can't believe the information available here - I wonder if all cars models have this level user community support, or is it only for special vehicles like ours? :thumbup:

Larez2, I sure wouldn't mind the wiring diagram if it's not to much of an inconvenience to send it to me.

Thanks!

- Pete

Here is a link to the wiring diagram:

http://www.directechs.com/directwire/print...Remote%20Start#

It says that it's for a 97', but it worked on my 99' don't know for sure about other years.

I have some pictures of my install too, which i have been meaning to get off my camera. I'll see about doing that tonight so you can have something else to go by also.

The Boxster's that came without Keyless entry are a rare breed indeed. Tool Pant's nicknamed them "the no option Boxster, $399 lease special" or something like that. LOL.

Larez2