Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Key Not Working

My '98 came with 2 keys (with the light in the keyhead, not the keyless entry buttons). The first one has been working just fine. But when I tried the second key, it turns the ignition and all the cluster lights come on, but the car won't start. Oddly, the light on the 'good' key doesn't work (I'm guessing it's the keyhead battery), but the the light on the 'bad' key works fine.

Anybody out there run into this before?

Thanks.

- Pete

• Moderators

Sounds like your immobilizer does not recognize one of the key heads. You should have 3, the third being the valet key that has no battery or light.

But all Boxster keys have a chip in the key head. If you pull the metal key shank out of your lighted key head and put it in the ignition switch and turn the ignition on you will see all the dash lights go on - but the car will not start without the chip.

Has nothing to do with the battery in the key head since on your car it is just for a light so you can see the key hole at night.

Doug since this is a new car (to you)

The starter won't go unless the clutch is ALL THE WAY down, even in neutral.

The starter won't retry if the key has been turned to the start position until after the key is returned to the off position. So if you turn the starter a little, the key has to go off and on before a retry . I AM NOT SURE, but this may also be true if you put the key into the start position with the clutch out.

If it were me, I'd try the keys several times to be sure it wasn't a wardrobe malfunction.

Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback.

I have discovered the 'clutch down' and 'return to position zero' requirements, but thanks for pointing them out - there IS a reason the TV repairman asks if the TV is plugged in before he comes out to fix a problem with the remote, and I'm not beyond silly mistakes like that, especially as a Porsche newbie. I have gone back and forth alternating keys, and one always works, the other never does. It sounds like Toolpants has the answer (as I'm coming to see he usually does). I didn't get the valet key when I picked up the car, and the previous owner is now 360 miles in my rearview. I'll have to call her and ask if she has it - anything to justify a 360 mile roadtrip. ;)

I'm assuming getting the immobilizer to recognize the keyhead is a key reprogramming issue that will require a visit to my local dealer?

Thanks again.

- Pete

I did a dumb thing once with my Boxster key. I pulled into a gas station in northern Wisc. and filled up. I put my key in the ignition and it would not turn. I jiggled the wheel and used a bit more force, but could not get it to turn. Stranded on a Sunday night, nearest Porsche dealer was 150 miles away. I got on my cellphone and started to call 1-800-PORSCHE. As I talked to a person on the line, I happened to glance at my key. Dumb me, I was trying to start my Boxster with the VW Passat key that was on my keyring. It fit perfectly but of course it would not turn. I'm sure that is not your problem, but anyone (like me and my wife) who drives a VW and a Porsche could make a similar error. It was a good thing the key did not breakoff in the ignition.

here's a trick for you to do, i do a lot of alarm installs. anywho. put your "bad" key in the ignition with one hand, with other hand hold the "good" key up close (really close) to the ignition. now try to start the car with the bad key while holding the good key close to it, even touching it, If you car starts, you have 1 of 2 problems. the chip is dead or the immobilzer doesnt reconize the chip and may just need a programming

Simple genius, secretaznman4u. I love finding simple, easy tests or solutions for seemingly complex problems.

I'll try that tonight and see if it works.

If you ever turn to a life of crime, we're all hosed (and presumably carless . . . )

Thanks.

- Pete

For what it's worth - it turns out the non-working key had the *wrong* key head. Can't imagine how the previous owner got the wrong key head, but I wound up forking over $40 bucks for the new key head, $40 bucks to have it programmed, and some kind of enviro-tax, whatever that is. $96 bucks all in, but problem solved.

Anyway, I now have a spare (unusable) key head. If anybody wants/needs it, let me know . . .

- Pete