Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Camshaft Seal Leaking Issues

Recently purchased a 99 Boxster one owner, 5 speed with 106k. Really good price = expected problems. CEL was on when I bought the car and these were the codes: 0300,0304,0305,0306, and 1324. After searching here and a few other forums I came to the conclusion that the issue was in the variocam tensioner. I was hoping that is was the solenoid due to this was the easier of my options, however I expected it was the chain guides. It ended up being the guides on the 4-6 side had worn all the way through and the chain had been riding on the metal of the tensioner, also the chain had jumped one tooth. Tensioner replaced along with guides and chain, went ahead and did the 1-3 side which the chain was about to work it's way through the guide too. Also did some other PM work while I was at it: spark plugs, tubes and seals, water pump, thermostat, blah.. blah.. blah.. Needless to say I replaced allot of things that have nothing to do with this post.

I got the car all back together yesterday and started it for the first time. Everything sounded good until I backed the car out of the garage and saw the puddle of oil. Apparently the oil pressure is forcing one of the green cam plugs out of the cover( all the green caps are new). This is only happening on 1 cap and it's on the 1-3 intake side. The pressure seems to be so strong that I can hardly hold it in by hand. My only thoughts is that some how I got some sealant where it didn't belong while reassembling the cam cover. It is a tight work area with the engine in the car so this is likely. Has anyone seen anything like this before.

I greatly appreciate any responses.

• 2 weeks later...

yes you are correct -- too much sealant on the cam cover --

this happened to my mechanic and me.

oil ran along the cam and pushed the plug out.

stripped all the sealant -- redid it and there were no further problems.

mike

Edited by txhokie4life