Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 CS Left rear suspension Clunk

I have never seen this topic on the forum. When I take off hard from a dead stop it feels like the left rear suspension moves like it is slightly behind the right. It does not feel like the axel or differential and never happens when I take off "normally". There is a slight clunk like something is loose. It is NOT the cardan/drive shaft. I replaced that already. Any thoughts?

Ok, checked the rear and as many links, bushings and bolts as I could see. I went for another drive, hit the throttle hard from a dead stop and now I swear it could be the drive shaft. Since I had this replaced last year at the dealer, I will bring it back to them for an inspection. Could this happen twice?

I went to the dealer Saturday (1 1/2 hours away!). I have interesting results. They said that the drive shaft had some play in it and they would replace it (under warranty). This supports when to use the dealership, I decided a year and 1/2 ago to have the dealer replace the shaft. They charged $650 for the shaft and 2 hours labor at $105/hr. I figured if I bought the shaft at the same price it would have taken me considerably longer to do the job AND they warrantied the part for 2 years and the labor was lifetime.

The downside, I still have the same clunk. The service tech said other than normal wear (at 92,000 miles) the suspension and mounts were all good. I definately have some sort of movement going on in the rear suspension. They said it could be inside the differential but I have no whine or any noises. If I ease into the throttle there is no clunk, if I throttle somewhat hard from a dead stop you hear it. If I am going 30mph and hit it so it goes into 2nd you can feel it. Something is twisting and hitting the under carriage but I can figure out what it is.

Do I take it to another dealer or is there something I can check?