Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine start up noise

• 9 months later...

I have a 97 Boxster with the same noise screech at startup about 50% of the time. I finally removed the starter which I outlined in another post and found the bearing on the end of the starter motor was bad. It had a lot of play and the starter motor shaft would vibrate inside the bearing when starting. With the new starter it hasn't happened since. :)

• 8 months later...
yer i get this noise too sometimes.

I have noticed it more when i start my boxtser then turn it off then try to start it again then that horrible noise comes on. I dont think its a problem really given the amount of owners that get this noise, i know its horrible and sounds like something is grinding but i know a few owners who also get this noise also.

I also agree it seems to happen when there are people around and its very embarrassing, however it doesnt happen as much now after porsche told me a little trick.

1. get in the car

2. put the key into the ignition and turn it to radio mode.

3. wait for the little counter to go down.

4. then start it on a short fast turn not slow

5. off you go

porsche says its amazing how many people dont know the correct way to start a boxster and after doing what they told me i have never had the noise back.

try it post back if it works..

Wow, old thread.

I don't see that procedure in my manual, pages 62-65. How is someone supposed to know to wait before starting?

Edited by blue2000s

If the noise you hear is after a long period of stand still ,than the problem is most likely the filling (with oil)of the tappets of the hydraulic valve clarence adjusters.

It is a screaming noise of metal on metal.

So there is no real problem (it's also common by 911 engines)

This is the answer to this question, for those wondering. The boxster has hydraulic lifters (presurized by oil) and when the cars sits for a long time (few days) the oil pressure from the lifters bleeds away. When you start the car the cams momentarily "slap" the lifters creating the noise your hearing. Once they are pumped up the noise goes away. The oil pump is mechanical so there is no way to create oil pressure without starting up the car, hense the temporary noise until the system is fully pressurized.

You do not need to wait for the count down, thats bologna, it's only to check the oil level. You can get in and start it right up just like any other car. You will hear this noise on any car with hydraulic lifters (VW and Audi etc.) typically Japanese cars don't use hydraulic lifters so you never hear this noise which is why some are not used to it.

I build the engine in my talon myself and it has hydraulic lifters. I compeltly disassembled my head and ported it. All the oil was completly removed from the lifters (completly) so when the car was first started it took a good 8-10 minutes for the lifter slap to dissappear. The Miata 1.6L and 1.8L motors are the same. If you ever pull the head for a head gasket you get this crazy noise on first start up for quite a while. Sounds like the motor spun a bearing, but it goes quiet all the sudden once they are fully pumped up. After that it's all good.