Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster not charging?

2002 Boxster S won't start after driving. A long drive will discharge the battery but it can sit in the garage indefinitely and the battery is still good so I don't think I have a short unless it is only while the car is running. The battery is new and I have tried 2 different ones. I have removed the alternator and had it checked at a local O'Reillys and thely said it checked good. I thought I probably had a bad voltage regulator but now I"m lost. Any suggestions? Do I trust the O'Reillys test? Maybe I should change the regulator just to be sure before I put this thing back together. If I cant fix this I will have to tow over 200 miles to the nearest dealer. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Moderators

The best way to evaluate this is with a battery load tester. This is a device that can check the battery's static voltage (should be around 12.5V or so) as well as the system voltage with the enigne running (should be ~14.5V). Its biggest advantage is that it can apply a 130A load on the battery which simulates trying to start the car (you apply the load for 15 sec. and what the battery's voltage output). We recently had a 911 in the shop that was doing exactly what you describe, a dealer had recommended a new alternator, battery, and starter were needed (read big $). The battery static voltage looked fine, as did the electrolyte gravity (meaning it was fully charged), and the alternator was putting out ~14.5V. But the car periodically refused to turn over. The load tester said the battery failed under the simulated load (probably an internal mechanica fault that develops under the load). We put in a new battery and the car has been fine ever since.

Find someone near by that has a load tester; or consider buying one (the only cost about $50 and work on anything with a 6 or 12V battery, so it's a nice add to any toolbox)....

d_95.jpg

• Moderators

Check the level of the battery's charge with a cheap hydrometer (less than $5) from and autoparts store; and check the level of your electrical system's draw on the battery without the car running (should only be a couple of mAmps).

00198MD.jpg

Edited by JFP in PA

Try putting a voltmeter on the battery. With the engine off, it should read somewhere above 12 volts. When you first start the engine, it should jump up to about 14 volts, and then gradually (over about 15-20 minutes) the voltage will go down slightly. If it doesn't do these things, try replacing the voltage regulator on the alternator. Much cheaper than a new alternator...

• Moderators

Try putting a voltmeter on the battery. With the engine off, it should read somewhere above 12 volts. When you first start the engine, it should jump up to about 14 volts, and then gradually (over about 15-20 minutes) the voltage will go down slightly. If it doesn't do these things, try replacing the voltage regulator on the alternator. Much cheaper than a new alternator...

A common volt meter is always a good starting point; however, a load tester can do the same things as a volt meter, as well as test the diodes and regulator under high current draw conditions, and can also put the battery thru its paces as it would during an attempt to start the car; things that a volt meter cannot do......... The load tester is a much more flexible diagnostic tool.

• 1 month later...

Definately sounds like a dead cell or possibly even two as the voltage has dropped so low that you can't even pop the hood. Take a 9v battery. The spacings of the terminals is correct for the transponder. Turn the battery one way - + is to +, - is to -. Turn it the other way, and + is to - and - is to +. Voila ! That's how you put one to "sleep" to preserve the battery.