Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front Motor Mount R&R Question

So I have the Pedro's Garage DIY for reference but the photos are too small to figure this out... There was some other DIY but the link is bad.

Where do I position the jack to support and lower the engine needed to R&R the mount? There is reference to some support piece in front of the oil pan. Exactly where is this?

I have all the parts and the rear up on jackstands as we speak.

Thanks

Edited by rprieto

There is a double rib where the two halves of the engine cases. This is just aft of where the motor mount goes. I did mine without draining the coolant, did the black plastic pan under the engine and the center tunnel. You can then move the coolant hoses enough to get the mount out. loosened the top two bolts on the engine side, removed the four on the chassis side, then lowered the front of the engine and removed the lower two on the engne side. With the mount loose you can reach in and loosen then remove the two through bolts, and take out the mount in two halves. I installed it in the reverse of that. Chuck

• Upvote 1

There is a double rib where the two halves of the engine cases. This is just aft of where the motor mount goes. I did mine without draining the coolant, did the black plastic pan under the engine and the center tunnel. You can then move the coolant hoses enough to get the mount out. loosened the top two bolts on the engine side, removed the four on the chassis side, then lowered the front of the engine and removed the lower two on the engne side. With the mount loose you can reach in and loosen then remove the two through bolts, and take out the mount in two halves. I installed it in the reverse of that. Chuck

Rib meaning an X pattern ribbed area? I was thinking placing a floor jack around the area just fwd of that since the jack face is a little to large to make direct contact with the ribbed area. Just need to make sure to get the right spot. Thanks Chuck. R.

Edited by rprieto

Yes, it is all from the bottom, no not the X rib area of the oil pan. If you look forward of the oil pan, and behind the mount there is a place where the the two halves of the engine cae meet. It's about an inch wide, and two inches long, and mone was kind of odd shaped like an L. If you are using a round floor jack, you might put a small block of wood on it to put the strain on it. A 2x2 a few inches long should work. If you do have to put the weight on the pan use a large, wide piece of wood to even out the pressure. I had to lower the nose of my engine about an inch and a half. When I had the new mount in, it sat about a half inch higher then when I started.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it is all from the bottom, no not the X rib area of the oil pan. If you look forward of the oil pan, and behind the mount there is a place where the the two halves of the engine Car meet. It's about an inch wide, and two inches long, and mine was kind of odd shaped like an L. If you are using a round floor jack, you might put a small block of wood on it to put the strain on it. A X a few inches long should work. If you do have to put the weight on the pan use a large, wide piece of wood to even out the pressure. I had to lower the nose of my engine about an inch and a half. When I had the new mount in, it sat about a half inch higher then when I started.

Got it thanks. Had to take a break but just got back. Just loosened the top engine mount screws with a flat hex wrench. Was pretty tight but used a small cheater bar to elp. I will look for a small block of wood...

Done...what a job that was. Finished up about 2AM (after the time change). Much time wasted safely supporting the rear end. I bought a craftsman 2 1/4 ton floor jack with a 15 inch lift to place the car up on jack stands. Plenty of clearance under the vehicle for me. I had to pay careful attention to very gently lower the engine. My mount was toast!

All the vibration is gone. I had gotten used to all the little noises and vibrations at certain RPMs while driving. I had thought of it to be quite "normal" for the car. However, for the last couple of weeks, I started to hear a slight "clunk" when accelerating followed by a vibration, from the rear, when turning.

Edited by rprieto