Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

subwoofer install

I wanted to do a subwoofer install in the footwell. I read a lot about enclosures in the footwell made out of fiberglass.

My problem is the car is stored for the winter in the garage and did not want to get the fiberglass smell all over the house and in the car for months.

So I tried doing one out of MDF.

The total enclosure is .15 cubic feet which is the minimum recommended enclosure for a pioneer TS-SW841D 8" shallow mount subwoofer.

As for sound I didn't expect much, but was amazingly surprised of the bass I got from this install.

Like mentioned before the car is in the garage therefore did not drive it with the top down yet but I am sure I will be satisfied. After all the engine is the most important sound to listen to.

The system is more for long highway drives...

So this is what I did:

First I cut out a cardboard shape of where the sub will go and traced it on a 3/4" MDF board.

Then did the sides out of same MDF. The sides are 2 -1/2" high.

Used carpenter glue and a brad nailer to assemble.

dsc01073.jpg

You can see here space available when sub is in the enclosure.

dsc01070.jpg

This is the finished piece with carpet.

dsc01076.jpg

Then filled with Polyfill I got from Walmart.

dsc01077.jpg

This is what it looks like when installed. I did not use any velcro or anything yet since it fits snug in place, and doesn't seem like it will move.

I got my wife to get in the car not telling her about the sub and she did not seem it was in the way.

dsc01085.jpg

If you want to see a few more pictures you can go to http://s671.photobuc...sche/subwoofer/

Hope it helps.

If you have any questions I will be glad to help.

Thanks

Edited by aqus

What are you powering this sub with and have you redone the other speakers in the car?

I have installed 4" Alpine Sps-400 for the dash.

Car already had The rear speaker kit when I Bought it and 5-1/4" MB Quartz in the doors.

The rear speakers are powered by the head unit

All others I installed a PDX-5 Alpine amplifier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

All I did, was a buy a 986 Bose subwoofer system off of Ebay. I hard wired the subwoofer and speakers to my 986 harness. I don't have the subwoofer amped but I get what I like from the system. The stock 220 system boosts just enough power to drive the subwoofer and rear speakers. All you need to do is ballance the rear deck sub and speakers with the fader control. BOOM! It works. :clapping: