Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is this going to be a RMS problem?

Hi all,

Looking seriously at a 2003 996 C4 with around 28,000 miles ( 44,000kms), but the service records show RMS replaced @ 7,200 miles then replaced RMS, clutch and pressure plate again at 22,000 miles.

I've been reading the RMS problems here and would like your opinion as to if this car qualifies as a chronic leaker (and I should walk away) or normal.

Thanks

I don't know if this car is a chronic leaker or not....for a couple of reasons. Who did the RMS replacements? Which version (the latest?) RMS did they use? Was the second RMS installed just because there was easy access to it during the clutch change?

More troubling is the fact that the clutch needed replacing at 22,000 miles. Granted, if the second RMS was leaking badly enough (again, who replaced the first one?) the clutch disk might need replacing....but, the pressure plate too? Some board members are well over 100K miles on the original clutch assembly.

I hope you would get a PPI done before purchasing any used Porsche. At least get a PST2 / PIWIS read out of the DME memory which should include as a minimum: operating hours (multiply by an average of 50-55 kph to get total kilometers done); stage 1 ignitions (to determine how many times the engine was run up to the rev limiter); and stage 2 ignitions (to determine how many times the engine red line was exceeded - generally caused by missed shifts with a manual transmission).

It is a buyers market these days. Don't rush into a purchase that you asre not completely sure of.

Bill

Thanks for the prompt response. The services were performed at a Porsche dealer in the US (Oklahoma), both times by the same dealer. From the service reports, the first time was because of oil leak and the second time, can't tell as there was a complaint of oil leak but the main one was clutch shudders and the result was clutch pressure plate warped and disc worn out. Was the RMS changed just for convenience?

The vendor has a PPI by a Porsche dealer done when importing and appears fine. In my other post, I asked about the Engine Revolutions Range Report.

It appears the car was initially sold Dec 2002 with the first RMS Feb 2005 (approx 7100mile in 2 years, 2 mths), and the second service RMS/clutch Sep/08 (approx 15,000 miles in next 3.5 yrs). Will little use cause the seals to leak? Only concern with if it's the actual engine itself that will make it leak.

Thanks again