Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door Panels : Vinyl vs. Leather

Did 1999-2000 996's come with the option for vinyl door panels instead of leather? From what I understand, the vinyl ones look different than the leather. I'm just not sure if the vinyl only came in boxsters.

(I'm buying a used set from someone who can't remember what they look like, but knows they came out of a 2000 996 cab. and that they are in great shape)

post-49992-126892513637_thumb.jpg

post-49992-126892514274_thumb.jpg

Did 1999-2000 996's come with the option for vinyl door panels instead of leather? From what I understand, the vinyl ones look different than the leather. I'm just not sure if the vinyl only came in boxsters.

(I'm buying a used set from someone who can't remember what they look like, but knows they came out of a 2000 996 cab. and that they are in great shape)

I forgot to mention, the one on the right picture is vinyl. A vinyl panel doesn´t have stiching on it, and the vinylpart is one of piece...

Kare

Knowing the year and model doesn't guarantee anything. The image on the left is a full leather door card, and full leather is an option in all 996/986 cars. The obvious visual difference is a tucked leather seam on the full leather card vs. a molded ridge on the vinyl card.

Not all vinyl on the cars is created equal. From 97-99, the Boxsters and 996 had a "bumpy" vinyl net optic grain that felt and looked a bit cheap. They returned to the traditional leather-patterned vinyl in the 2000 MY.

Mark

I have pictures of this guys seats and dashboard. Did the "leather upgrade" come as a set with other parts that may have identifying traits that I could see with those pictures? For example (leather door panels would mean that you had a leather dash too, and a leather dash is readily identifyable by looking for stitching on the instrument mound)