Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cdr-220 Install Problems

So I just put in a CDR-220 (used) to replace my CR-210. Here were the simple steps I took:

1) disconnect battery

2) remove cr210

3) install cdr220

4) reconnect battery

After reconnecting the battery, without putting the car key in, the LED blinks on the CDR220, but when i put the car key in and turn it to accessory and then push the radio "ON" button, the LED goes off, but nothing happens... No "code" screen, no "wait" screen, absolutly no illumination to the new unit at all. When i take the car key out, the unit returns to its led blinking.

When taking the cr210 out, there was the small two wire connector attatched to the sleeve, but after examining how it worked on the cr210, I am assuming it is ok to leave it idle behind the new unit, which is what Im doing now.

Beyond that my next spot to trouble shoot would be the small switch on the inside of socket A, since the unit seems to be getting power, yet not illuminating, perhaps the switch is not being engaged or is faulty. Other than that, i would say the new unit is a dud. . .

Has anyone had a similar experience, or have any ideas that may help?

UPDATE: after fooling around with the connection, I determined it isnt a problem with Socket A, it now seems like a bad "ON" button, perhaps I'll take the faceplate apart.. I also called becker audio directly and the guy told me to disconnect it, and reconnect it after 30 seconds cause sometimes when you connect the battery it gives the radio a "jolt" and "messes it up". . . I hope i can find better help here. HAH

Much would be appreciated,

**** Final Update, Problem Solved! ****

Took apart the front of the unit, and found one of the red ribbon cables was disconnected (the on the "ON" button side), reconnected ribbon, and works like a charm. I do not know how to remove this topic, otherwise i would.

- Mark

Edited by jibbles44

• 4 months later...

Hello jibbles44.

i am considering the upgrade you did to your porsche, (replacing the CR 210 Cassete player with an upgraded CDR 220) and wanted to know some details about your experience, such as:

From what I gather, the job was Plug and Play with the current connectors in your car (was the size of the unit exactly the same and did you use the exact connectors that came with the car or did you need some changes with the connectors)

also, would like to know if the integration of functions keep working with the replacement unit, such as:

if the car and radio kept the regular vanity features (like sound volume coming down after you turn the car off and remove the keys, not just shutting off)

if lights on the unit react to vehicle light switch (lights brighter when vehicle headlights are on and such)

if Speed Sensitive Volume works with the new unit

If CD Changer that came with vehicle (if you have it) is compatible with the new unit, or if you use IPOD integration, how it works)

Do you think the sound quality is better with the new unit, or same for radio but with CD functionality.

Do you think the unit looks better (colors and faceplate brightness) than the Cassette unit did?

Did you upgrade the speakers and/or place an Amp in the car, any recommendations on this part of the upgrade?.

sorry about the multiple questions, but i hope to find out some info from someone who has really done the upgrade.

regards,

Hermann (hgiron@elroble.com)