Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help on replacing factory radio

Hi,

I have a 03 S with the Hi Fi option plus CDR23 unit. I purchased a Kenwood 715Dvd radio last week. I installed the radio today and I mounted it in the upper console. The install went fine and everything fitted perfectly. But I am stuck now with the harness.

I removed the CDR23 unit and there were 4 cables connected to the back of this unit. 1, the large plug. 2, the smaller yellow plug above the large plug. 2, the fiber optics plug. 4, the antenna plug.

What are the pin outs for the larger / smaller plugs so I can connect it to the wire harness?

What is the fiber optics plug use for?

Is there an antenna adapter so I can plug it to the reciever contronl unit.

Can I disconnect all the cables in the amp and connect it to the radio harness?

Would that give me sound?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

-y

It appears that the CDR23 has maintained the same pinout arrangement as the CDR-220/HK TP units.

Refer to the A, B, and C connectors, check page 4 on the HK Traffic Pro guide.

I assume that connector A and B are unchanged.

Connector C may be different as the CDR23 uses the MOST optical bus, to which on Porsche components connect.

Not to confuse you, but the C-connector is often three connectors in one, but they may have different colors. When you mention the smaller yellow plug, it sounds as if you refer to the C1 connector, which in your case would be the wiring into the amp.

A and B connectors are similar, single units. Brown and black in earlier models. When you mention the large plug, I assume that you refer to connector A which connects to car input signals. Connector B is most likely unused - these are the loudspeaker outputs, but in the hifi option they are connected to the amplifier.

The fiber optics and antenna plug are self-explanatory.

See the pics below. Top is CDR-23, bottom is HK Traffic Pro

cdr23-rear.jpg

hk-rear.jpg

Thanks for the info...this looks great and very helpful.

I was wondering would you have the pin outs for the 490 amp in the front trunk.

I also have the Porsche rear speaker kit wired to it. I believe it is a 4 channel amp.

Many thanks,

-y

• Moderators

I am not the stereo guy but this is what I have seen. The pins on the back of the 23 radio are the same as the older 210 and 220 radios, but not all of them work on the 23 even though they are still there. Your 23 radio has pins for rear speakers and a cd changer but they do not work. That is why on a 23 the rear speakers and changer are hooked up to the amp. not the back of the radio head like on the 210 and 220 radios.

The 2 fiber optic cables on the back of the 23 radio go to the amp. I do not know of any way to get a MOST amp to work with a non 23 radio.

Is the wires from the amp to the speakers fiber optics? or it is just regular copper?

Thanks,

-y

Copper.

As to the fiber optic plug - as Jeff points out this is a dual channel: one fiber coming in and one fiber coming out. The fiber channel forms a loop (MOST bus), and all the components are plugged in the same way (in and out). This may be a single connector, combining both channels in one plug.

I believe all components, Radio, AMP, CD-changer and instrument cluster communicate over the bus with each other.

I don't know if the radio has the internal amp/pre-amp still present. If so you should be able to activate the pins on the back. I guess you'd have to measure the pins, and if no signals, open the unit to find out.